Try my shadows demo

Started by
50 comments, last by benjamin bunny 19 years, 6 months ago
It's probably a combination of the shader length and the fill rate demands which the FX cards object to. It's pretty close to the limit in terms of shader length, and those cards really don't work well with ARB_fp. I guess it's possible it's emulating vertex or fragment programs in software due to the length, which wouldn't help the situation, although it doesn't seem quite that slow.

Nice to see the 6800 GT cards doing so well. I'm looking at putting one in my machine when the price comes down enough.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
i had another run and are more confinced its the shaders more than fillrate that is the biggest slowdown.

A/ disabling the shadows doesnt improve fps much (approx 30-50%) on my card
B/ the gf6800 doesnt have that much more fillrate than a gf59xx but is getting a lot higher fps

im in the same boat at the moment, shaders are holding me back.

perhaps u can move as much as possible from the fragment programs to the vertex shader, though this will result in prolly a lower quality image, perhaps have 2 versions of each shader, fast + low quality, slow + good
Hi!

I must say that it was a great demo! Is there any possibility that I could see the source code for it? Only for educational purposes, of course!

Regards,

// Pether
VBO error.
Not supported on my card - Intel Extreme opengl version 1.4
Perhaps you need a few more 'if' statements to handle the VBO thing.

By the way, I work in a software house (not games) - most, if not all the engineers don't care about their graphics cards nor even could name the ones in their pcs at home or on their desk.

Which sort of means that for the really latest stuff that clever people write - there aren't that many people who even have the intention of getting beyond the
"VBO not supported" or whatever error they're going to get.

Crashes with latest catalyst drivers at my 9600XT (shader attach error).

Quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
Intel Extreme opengl version 1.4

[headshake]
Quote:most, if not all the engineers don't care about their graphics cards nor even could name the ones in their pcs at home or on their desk.

Ok, that explains it.
Quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
VBO error.
Not supported on my card - Intel Extreme opengl version 1.4
Perhaps you need a few more 'if' statements to handle the VBO thing.

By the way, I work in a software house (not games) - most, if not all the engineers don't care about their graphics cards nor even could name the ones in their pcs at home or on their desk.

Which sort of means that for the really latest stuff that clever people write - there aren't that many people who even have the intention of getting beyond the
"VBO not supported" or whatever error they're going to get.

I could easily make it work with VBO, mostly it falls back to VA's anyway. It's just one bit where I was hacking away I didn't bother to fix it. HOWEVER, if your card/drivers don't support VBO then there's no way they'll support fragment programs, so I figured it made more sense to simply reject all non-VBO cards in this instance.

No offense, but I have no interest in making my demos work on crappy intel integrated chipsets with 5-year-old technology, for the same reason I don't make my demos work on 486s. I'm interested in experimenting with the most recent advancements in graphics hardware, not catering to people who apparently are prepared to spend less on their graphics hardware than the price of a game. These people are presumably not even gamers, let alone game developers.

Bear in mind the target audience for this this demo is potential employers, who will be developing for hardware which will be around in 2-4 years time, not the hardware which was around 5 years ago.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

My box, sucks [smile]:
9-13 fps
Win2k SP4
Athlon TB 1GHz
768 MB SDRAM (133mhz)
Radeon 9600 SE 128MB

Quote:Original post by zedzeek
perhaps u can move as much as possible from the fragment programs to the vertex shader, though this will result in prolly a lower quality image, perhaps have 2 versions of each shader, fast + low quality, slow + good

I'd like to do it, but it's not really an option due to time constraints.

Quote:I must say that it was a great demo! Is there any possibility that I could see the source code for it? Only for educational purposes, of course!

Sorry, can't. I may yet use it in a commercial project. However, most of the techniques are widely available. The only really original thing I've done is with the shadow optimisations and bounds checks.

Quote:Original post by zedzeek
i had another run and are more confinced its the shaders more than fillrate that is the biggest slowdown.

Actually,I think that both shadows and shaders are slowing down, but yeah shaders are a bigger bottleneck.
I got in my Geforce5200:

1)Shaders, Shadows: 3 FPS
2)Shaders, No Shadows: 7 FPS
3)Shadows, No Shaders: 19 FPS
4)No Shadows or Shaders: 65 FPS
Quote:Original post by benjamin bunny
Unofficially, it's usually possible to insert the appropriate openGL dll specific to your hardware into your windows\system directory. You can get this from the nvidia or ati site if you're using that kind of card, but you'll need to find a way to extract it.

I've got an ATI card, with chip type RS200M. But when I go to d/l the latest drivers from ati.com there are only the following options:
RADEON Family
RAGE 128 Pro Family
RAGE 128 Family
RAGE Pro Family
I'm orry to ask this probably nooby question, but which shohuld I download? Or isn't it the video card driver that I need?
____________________________________________________________Programmers Resource Central

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement