Help

Started by
5 comments, last by raptorstrike 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello All, I am 13yrs old and hope to become a professional game programmer as my career. I feel that if I begin my journey of learning now, it will be easier and make me a better programmer. In my area I cant find any tutors, so I am gonna have to rely on a book. I have currently bought a book called "Game Programming for Teens". I find it somewhat simple yet hard (it involves Blitz Basic). I would like to learn C++ though. Should I keep reading the book i have now, or would that be a bad idea? Also, please recommend me a book to buy that is for the absolute beginner for C++. Thank You.
Advertisement
I don't really know much about the book you're reading, however the language it uses is pretty good for beginners. It's high level and lets you get stuff up the on screen doing things quickly. With something like C++ there's lots of details you have to take care of.

As for beginners C++ books take a look at the GameDev book section here. That's got plenty of them so take a look at a few and decide what one you'd like.
I can recommend "C++ How to program" by Deitel/Deitel. That's a very good book that covers most of the language including STL (thats good stuff). Easy to read and with good examples.
I started out with AMOS Basic on the Amiga, then progressed from there to Blitz (again on the Amiga) to C and basic M68K Assembler (anyone else remember the Amiga Format Bitmap Bros tutorials? [grin]). I personally couldn't imagine starting with C++ as my first language, but many have and continue to do so. With my experience in mind, I'd stick with your Blitz Basic book and learn the basic concepts of programming and game makin such as how basic programming concepts work to how to structure your games and get things running together in a working game. You'll get feedback pretty quickly and build enough confidence to tackle another language (C++ or C# maybe) when you feel like you've outgrown Blitz.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
(anyone else remember the Amiga Format Bitmap Bros tutorials?

I still have those very magazines.
Thank You all for your replys. I probably stick with my book I have now and continue to C++. I originally bought a book for beginning C++, but it said I needed a basic understanding of it to continue in the book. Anyways, it said that its not only not required to learn C first, but it is a bad idea...is this somewhat true, or not?
are you using Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 hours?
because i remember the book saying somthing like that
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement