Getting info from a running game

Started by
2 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 6 months ago
I guess this is something pretty common these days, but I don't see how it's done. Let's say you're running a game server, like a Counter-Strike server, or your own custum MUD server, and you want people to be able to look at a web page and see how many people are connected, the current map, etc. How's that done? How does the executable give that information back to whatever's asking for it? Does it just keep a file that it writes to occasionally that other stuff can read? Is there some kind of message passing mechanism?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
I don't know what to do for Counter-Strike, but for your own custom MUD you could just make your server listen to a spesific port, and let it return xml/html whenever a client (your web application) asks for the info.
The games I've delt with will just spit out a huge log file thats updated ever so often.

Its the web application (php, asp ect ect..) that reads the file and makes sence of everything.

This doesn't really help with the question...just sayin :)
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=9414019
most games have a 'query port' which you can send udp messages to and get a responce back with the infomation in it, CSport makes use of this to provide its stats on players/servers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement