TI-83: 3D

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
Is it possible to write a 3D game on the TI-83 plus calculator? I'm not worried about the difficulty, but is it possible?
Advertisement
Possible? I guess so... Probable? No.

You could use raycasting, and make a 2.5D game(think Wolfenstein 3d). But not really a full 3D game.

I could be wrong though.

Question I'd ask you is, how are you programming it?

Because if your still using the 83's BASIC, no. I'll tell you right now. (I still use that, but I don't try and program anything requiring lots of CPU power.)

If you're using Assembler, you'll have MUCH better chances.

Maybe Benryves can help you out...
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
Please do not melt your mind with TI-BASIC. Atleast Z80 assembley is useful in the "real world."
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
I'm using Z80 assembly. I totally forgot about calculator BASIC. And yes, I am getting help from benryves.
Yes, I have seen at leats 1 raycaster game ("Gemini" for ION/Mirage). It is huge though (almost 24 KB of my RAM on my TI 84+ SE), but it is relatively playable. I would try googling it, since I believe the code may be open source and you could check that out. If you want a "real" 3D game, it will be slow to the point of being unplayable. I guess you could make a non real-time 3D modeler type of thing, but it would still be weird in such a tiny resolution...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Gemini, written by Coelurus (I think he frequents this site - check the graphics forum) uses a raycasting routine. He's also written a software-Mode7 demo.
I've not done too much with 3D, apart from hugely faked 3D in a scenedemo I wrote in ASM.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Someone made a DOOM game for the TI-83 Plus, of course they used asm, but it was still awesome. I'm pretty sure that they used raycasting for the TI-DOOM.
_______________________________________________________________________________________He's a real no where man, sitting in his no where land, making all his no where plans for nobody...
I tried to read through Secrets of the 3D Game Programming Gurus, and attempted to write a wireframe renderer for the TI-83+ in the built-in BASIC (give me a break, I was bored and stuck in class).

I got about 1/3 fps when trying to blit four points, and I'm sure I screwed up all of the matrix operations.
Yes it can be done in BASIC.

http://www.icarusindie.com/DoItYourSelf/rtsr/&#106avascript3d/lessons11-16.php

You'll just have to do a bit of translation but it'll look and function exactly like the &#106avascript Wolf5K.<br><br>The problem will be that it will be incredibly slow. The advantage of abusing a perfectly nice system like the TI is that it forces you to learn how to optimize. If you can get it to be playable using TI BASIC then you're well &#111;n your way to coding tight efficient code in any language for any system.<br><br>If you want to learn assembly then doing a conversion of Wolf5K would be an excellent place to start. The Z80 processor is well documented. You'll learn how to plot pixels, take user input and process game logic. The code is also reasonably short so that it won't take forever to do.<br><br>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement