Ink'n Paint mesh

Started by
9 comments, last by Link 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi at all i have a trouble. I draw my mesh with 3dsmax then i add to it a texture and at the last the ink'n paint effect. Now i have to export the .x file using pandasoft exporter. The problem is that in the .x file is not included the new texture made by 3dsmax (my texture add using UVW and the ink'n paint effect). How can i do? i add also the link of my starting discussion about: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=272678
Advertisement
This effect cannot be simulated by a texture, it is a shading model which cannot be exported, (For example you cannot export the anisotropic shading of 3d max with the model).
any way it is easy to do the ink shading using the vertex shaders.try to search for tutorials on it.
Here is a really good article on cartoon rendering. Additionaly, here is a pretty good article on cartoon shading, right here on Gamedev.

Article on Microsoft.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
tnx but i must to tell that it is an hard stuff...
Quote:Original post by Link
tnx but i must to tell that it is an hard stuff...
Yes, if you don't know anything or very little about shader programming, it can be quite hard to understand. However, you are going to have to learn HLSL (or ASM) sometime, since the fixed-function-pipeline is being phased out.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Writing a cartoon shader is a good introduction to programmable shading, in my opinion. As the core of the "special effect" is in the vertex shader, it isn't even very difficult (compared to what most current cards are capable of).

If you have specific problems in using shaders, just ask :)

Niko Suni

It's need to know asm to have a ink'n paint effect over a mesh?
Are there some other ways?
What just pipeline are? and HLSL?

Tnx guys for your explainings.
I'd recommend using HLSL over assembly, since you're a beginner on shaders. HLSL is modelled after the c language, and makes both reading and writing the shaders easier for a human.

While you're at it, read up on .fx framework; it simplifies shader usage and render state management considerably, once you get the basics covered.

If you haven't already, download the SDK and look at the effect-related samples for more info.

Pipelines are far too vast topic to explain at single post IMO - maybe S1CA or someone else has a more concise explanation on that :)

Niko Suni

what is the .fx framework? Where can i find it?
Quote:If you haven't already, download the SDK and look at the effect-related samples for more info.

What SDK do you means to?
Quote:Original post by Link
what is the .fx framework? Where can i find it?
Quote:If you haven't already, download the SDK and look at the effect-related samples for more info.

What SDK do you means to?

The DirectX Software Development Kit.
Here is the online version of the .fx documentation.

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement