• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
White Rabbit

[web] Software development website(like sourceforge)

This topic is 5406 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Does anyone know of any site that supplies a software development website similar to sourceforge, but that takes closed source projects? I've found a few sites that do it, but there is allways something, Asynchrony we have to pay, Webframe is just plain outdated, at CodeHaus one needs to have a 'business friendly' license, and i can't run GForge or any other similar to it, because the ones i found could only run in Unix. Thank you.

Advertisement
The reason you are having such difficulty is because it is generally not a good business model to place your closed source code on a server owned by someone else.

If you want to host a project, pay for a hosting company which provides you a secure server, access to it via SSH, and will allow you to run cvs or some similar software on it.

Or open source your software, or beg someone alot.

Quote:
The reason you are having such difficulty is because it is generally not a good business model to place your closed source code on a server owned by someone else.

Nobody said anything about uploading source anywhere.

If a service was in place that allowed features has hosting a site, with forums, with bugtracking, mailling lists, cvs, ftp, etc. I wouldn't be obligated to use them all, now would i?

[Edited by - White Rabbit on September 28, 2004 8:15:42 PM]

I think Sourceforge does actually oblige you to use the source sharing facility, since that's what it's all about, open source.

Quote:
Original post by White Rabbit
Quote:

Nobody said anything about uploading source anywhere.

If a service was in place that allowed features has hosting a site, with forums, with bugtracking, mailling lists, cvs, ftp, etc. I wouldn't be obligated to use them all, now would i?

One of the *most critical* features of Sourceforge is the ability to operate a CVS server and have your source code posted for download at an "authoritative" location.

I personally have issues with downloading the latest version of ossutil.tar.gz from ftp://g00fball.dynamicdnsservice.com as opposed to downloading from a sourceforge server.

Also, you said a "software development website"; this lead me to infer that you are looking for something that features version control software, which requires sources. Just my take on the subject.

The problem with such features is that they tend to be heavy on bandwidth, diskspace and severload which usually means that such services can be expensive to run. For a couple of projects it wouldn't be an issue, but when you have several hundred projects that all have source code, art, music and other game resources the overhead begins to really take its toll on a serverfarm. If such a host existed, it'd be brilliant. Every amateur and small commercial developer around would hop onto the system and run their projects on it. However, it simply wouldn't be free. I doubt anyone would be willing to give up what would amount to several tens of thousands worth of hosting for free to everyone. Then if you start hosting commericial projects on there you start to run into legal issues; what if the system dies and you lose some of your code? Who would pay for the losses? You need to engage in contracts to ensure that copyright is maintained and that information isn't leaked, etc, etc.

The dream starts to fall apart when you think of the wider implications. It's a sad fact but it's true.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!