• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hothead

need help with reverse word program

This topic is 5406 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make a program that says hello backwards but you type it inthe regular way here's my code
#include<iostream>

using namespace std;
int main()
{
    int word = reverse();
    cout<<"hello\n";
    cin>>word;

return 0;
}

Advertisement
Hmmm.

Well you'll need to read the word in first. Also I suggest storing it as a string. Like this:

string teriyaki;

cin >> teriyaki;

Then you'll need to call your reverse function on it:

teriyaki = reverse(teriyaki);

cout << teriyaki; // print out the result

The reverse function itself should just re-order the bytes making up the string. To access the bytes in a string, the best thing to do is convert to an array of chars (chars are signed bytes):

string reverse(string in)
{
char* foo = in.c_str(); // .c_str() converts it to an array of chars
char bar[128]; // buffer to store it in

for (int i = 0; i < in.size(); ++i)
{
// loop through the string
char ch = foo;
bar[in.size() - i - 1] = ch; // put the char in reverse order
}

return string(bar);
}

Not sure if that will compile as I've just written it in a hurry, but it should work :)

there's also a reverse iterator in the STL that works on string objects, if you intend to use a std::string.

But this question sounds awfully pedantic, so I'll let you look the details up instead of helping you with what might just be a homework question.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!