• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudo

whicked feedback effect

This topic is 5470 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a graphics demo that has some pretty interesting feedback effects. I'm bored so I thought I'd explain how to do it. first the screenshots are at: http://www.brandonfurtwangler.com/index.php?p=37 the feedback is shown in the last 3 screenshots. still images dont exactly do it justice, but you get the idea. To do this, I created 3 textures that were render targets. I call these 'current', 'previous', and 'mix'. Every frame I do this: 1) render scene into 'current' 2) render full screen quad/grid into 'mix' using a feedback shader (explained below) with 'current' and 'previous' as input textures 3) render full screen quad into backbuffer using a copy shader with 'mix' as a texture 4) swap around 'previous'/'mix' the feedback shader should warp vertex positions to give interesting stretching of the image, and it should lerp between current and previous in the pixel shader. If you scale the vertex positions, it will do a radial feedback/blur. If you rotate the positions it will do circular feedback and if you just move the vertices around based on time using sin/cos waves you get an underwater effect (this works best with a grid rather than a quad). You can then use your lerp's blending factor to easily control how much feedback you get. the copy shader just samples its input texture and basicaly copies from the texture to the screen. I have a few more screenshots showing the warping that I'll post tomorrow and if there's enough interest I could put the code up there too.

Advertisement
Your screenshots look great, good job! Is there any chance you could get the source code up there, or a demo to download?

The parallax mapping and reflective material looks great, as do the radial blurs. It's a good idea to use Novodex, too - it's a very impressive physics library. I love in Novodex Rocket where you can drag the ragdoll through the brick wall [smile].

If you need some high-quality artwork, try TurboSquid. Although a lot of the material on there is commercial, there is a substantial amount of models that are both free and high-quality. Just do Advanced Search -> Max Price ($0).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!