• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
griffyboy0

Question about alpha mapping

This topic is 5465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making an mmorpg (www.projectirisdev.tk), and the engine is coming along nicely. I am however having trouble understanding where I stand at the whole modelling area. Heres my problem. I have a lot of characters in this mmorpg with fur. As rendering fur from code is extremely difficult, and costly on the system resources, I would like to find a low poly, high detail replacement. I have a fur texture that has a jagged edge that is supposed to stick out the side of the model. I want the jagged edge to be the end of the polygon. One way I could do this, would be to shape the bit of the model so that it matches up with the jagged edge, but this is an extremely high poly solution. I would like to create a quad, and place my jagged fur texture over it, and have the other half of the quad be transparent.That way its only 2 triangles, but I get the same detail. The blue part of the quad where the texture isnt covering needs to be transparent. I have 3ds Max 6, and I am exporting the models to *.X format for now. I want to know if I can do this in 3ds max and export a model with this on it, so I can import it into my program, or if I have to write code that involves masking the texture before I apply the skin to the model. It would be great if I could do it in 3ds max. If I can do it in 3ds max, could somebody please tell me how? Thanks. I had a hard time placing this question, as it kinda applies to DirectX discussion, and Visual arts at the same time. Thanks for your time, ~Griffyboy0~ [Edited by - griffyboy0 on October 2, 2004 10:03:02 AM]

Advertisement
Don't see much of a problem with the max part at least. Create your quad/quads (shift-drag a line f.e.), apply your alphamapped texture with the quad selected in sub-object mode to get matid's and multi-material created for you. Adjust texture coordinates. done. This assumes your secondary texture is alphamapped correctly (using dxt3 f.e. if your using dds's) and so on.
Though you might already know all this, didn't really get exactly if this was the thing you wanted help with ;)

Can't help you on the exporting part though...

Guest Anonymous Poster
I finally found a hosting service. I'll edit this post with pictures to help people understand what I'm talking about.

~griffyboy0~

That wasnt exactly what I needed help with.

Although that was useful, I provided extra information to anybody who thinks they can answer my question. It would be really nice to get this answered, as it has been sitting here for a long time.

Thanks in advance,

~Griffyboy0~

I don't see what your problem is, its nothing to do with your exporting from max, you can apply a texture map to a plane in max, the texture should contain an alpha channel (where you have blue - it would be black and white where the fur is - in the alpha channel)

It is up to you to define in your code what you do with the texture. You need to enable blending on this particular material/texture. ethier 1bit of 8bit depending on the effect and sorting methods.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!