[web] A Safe way to have your e-mail on a webpage?

Started by
20 comments, last by seanw 19 years, 6 months ago
Is there a safe way to have your e-mail address on a web page without resorting to using and image? or woody<at>e-mail-provider.com Has anybody come up with a good way to handle this? Thanks Woody
Advertisement
The best way to do this is use &#106avascript.

Spilt your email up into little pieces and inject it into the page using document.write

Example

<script><!-- var pt2 = "to:"; var pt1 = "mail"; var pt3 = "myaddress"; var pt5 = "domain.c"; var pt4 = "@my"; document.write( "a href='" + pt1 + pt2 + pt3 + pt4 + pt5 + "om" + "'>Email me</a>");--></script>

And I'm moving this to WebDev [wink]
Try this:

<script TYPE="text/&#106avascript"> </script>

Nothing stops the spam collector to parse the page after executing all the &#106avascript...

The safest way right now would be to use a picture of the email address. But that has a lot of downsides as you can probably imagine.

And I guess that in the near future spam collecters might as well use OCR on the rendered page to extract thoes email addresses as well...

So ultimately it's best to get a good spam filter solution and wait for a generic answer to the spam problem.
I get about 20 junks a day, but can clear them in about 10 seconds, so I'm not really bothered by Spam

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

You can prevent people from getting your email address by not putting your email address on your website. You could provide a feedback form to let people contact you, or you could even put up an entire forum where people can talk to you and each other.

If this isn't an option, then I'd go with the &#106avascript trickery. <em>Don't</em> use images for this if you want blind people to be able to contact you.
Another option might be to have a 'mail me' button and set a specific mail subject. That way you can sort by subject and find the legit mails.
I just use several e-mails.

One is junk mail, basicly e-mail I use for putting into all those forms that require e-mail confirmation or something like that, cause they always "leak" to varius companies wanting to advertise.
Second one is contact e-mail, basicly what OP is refering to.

The last one is my real e-mail, the personal one I only give to directly to someone.

First two e-mail addresses you can always easily change if they get to cluttered, but you'd really want to stick to your last e-mail, you know, to keep in touch with people you actualy know.
Of course, you could always create a web form for contact and put a little PHP script to post the email to you.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Why would you want to put your email address on a website?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement