• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
yuppies

create Level Editor

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

In my opinion, if you're planning to use Windows to create your level editor, than use MFC. It's much easier to use than WinAPI and is more suitable for editors.

However, if you already have a graphic engine working, you should consider making a WYSIWYG editor. That is, an editor than works in the engine itself. You'll have to program your own simple API for windows and controls(or use the new DirectX examples for windows). I think it's a lot nicer using the engine itself as an editor - more easy to create the world that way. Anyway, your choice.

- Etus

also try takig a look at QT and Wx.

MFC is, to quote our tools programmer, "a bloody nightmare" :) whereas he rates Wx as "completely free, cross platform and quite spiffy". He was also quite impressed with QT.

Andy

Quote:
Original post by yuppies
Whats best to use when creating a level editor?
Win32 SDK or MFC?

thanks

IMO, neither! The .NET framework is much easier and cleaner.

On a related note, I'm growing increasingly fond of mixed paradigm/language development these days too (the libraries you use is affected somwhat by the language too).

So if I was making a level editor myself, the following would be quite likely:

- the core 3d game engine: native C++/C with plain Win32

- the editor UI: C# and/or VB with .NET

- file sharing and even some integration with tools using common file formats such as FX Composer and 3DS Max

- UI prototyping: VB.NET

- Win32 prototyping: VB, VBScript etc

What is important though is using a suitable tool for the job; for example I recently used VBScript to prototype some WMI code that would have taken at least 100 times longer to write in C++, which would be 100x time wasted for an experiment - on the flipside I wouldn't dream of writing engine code in VB/VBS because performance is the most important factor there.

Of course, that's just my opinion - there isn't a right or wrong here. What suits me might not suit you. (i.e. no flames please)

Quote:
Original post by NineYearCycle
also try takig a look at QT and Wx.

MFC is, to quote our tools programmer, "a bloody nightmare" :) whereas he rates Wx as "completely free, cross platform and quite spiffy". He was also quite impressed with QT.

Andy

What do Wx and QT stand for?

WxWindows and Qt are both cross-platform SDKs for developing applications, as opposed to the Windows-only hysteria of Win32 and MFC.

Personally, I just bolted the editor into my main game code, so #1 I don't have to exit and start another app to edit maps, I can just hit the edit key and screw with it, and #2 I'm lazy, and it only required about ten more lines of code.

We're doing some tool design right now and I have to say that QT rocks. It's fairly easy to learn and it has the advantage of being cross-plat(if you care).

SDL is also a way to go, their GUI libraries are coming along pretty good.

Whatever you do, I say stay away from MFC if you can.It can turn into a big mess if you are very proficient at it. If you are sure you are going in the Windows only direction then I would look at using Forms instead. Like S1CA said.

i'll pitch my personal recommendation in. use your homegrown in-game GUI for your editor. its a great opportunity to test and expand your own GUI library, and any effort spent learning someone else's implementation will be replaced by time spent implementing additional features in your own.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by LowCalorieSoftDrink
I like borlands vcl, comes in object pascal (delpih) and c++ flavours, although technically the actual vcl is in pascal.

For a pascal kick you can also you fpc (free pascal compiler) and lazuerous which are supposedly delphi/vcl compatible.

And don't forget java, although big/little endianness can be a pita.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!