• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pacemkr

Initializing a device.

This topic is 5468 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to initialize a D3D device when another direct x aplication is running full screen? If so, how do I do it? If no, how do I access the RenderTarget of a directx device that is not part of the same program? Thanks in advance. Any info is greately appreciated. This is what I am using right now and its failing...

//define a pointer to d3d object
	LPDIRECT3D9 pD3D = NULL;

//attemp to get the pointer of a d3d object
    if( NULL == (pD3D = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION)))
        return 1;

//define a pointer to d3d device
	IDirect3DDevice9 *pDevice;

//define the present parameters needed to create a device
	D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS pD3Dpp;

//fill the parameters with zeros in memory
	ZeroMemory(&pD3Dpp,sizeof(pD3Dpp));
	pD3Dpp.Windowed = TRUE;
	pD3Dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;

//attempt to create a new device
	//adapter to use,type of adapter,handle to screencap window,vertex processing must be set,present params,device pointer
	HRESULT res = pD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT,D3DDEVTYPE_HAL,hWnd,D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,&pD3Dpp,&pDevice);

Advertisement
A device takes full control of the display adapter while in fullscreen. If you initialize a new device, one will take precidence over the other, and the loser will revert to the device lost state.

So you can't have 2 active devices at once. Or so I've been told [lol]...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!