windows update - how to...

Started by
8 comments, last by andy-pandy 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, i have a small problem regarding windows automatic update functionality: recently i downloaded some updates, but i didn't install them directly after downloading, instead i clicked away the notification and disabled the "notify-me-in-..."-option. now, i know that there are at least 10 updates already downloaded, but i can't active this dialog/application to install the already downloaded ones... i know for sure, there is a simple exe file, or something else, allowing me to deploy the already downloaded updates - but i can't find it !? does anyone know, which file to execute to bring up this install-assistent ? any help is greatly appreciated.
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
Advertisement
start > windows update

should be right there somewhere! [lol]
@Mushu:

no no, you misunderstood me - the option, mentioned by you, guides me only to the webpage on the internet - but i have already downloaded the updates, and they are stored on my harddisk, somewhere - the only info i need is, how to bring up this installing assistent.

and yes: i also tried executing "winupd2.exe", the file where the startmenuoption "Windows Update" is pointing to - but this has also the same effect: i'm ending up visiting the windowsupdate.com page.

there must be a option how to bring up this assistent, i'm pretty sure about this - but i don't know how where :(

thanks in advance.
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
What about the "review and install" link on the Windows Update webpage? That might be what you're looking for. (hopefully)
Quote:Original post by Mushu
What about the "review and install" link on the Windows Update webpage? That might be what you're looking for. (hopefully)

i can't access internet because this is a new machine, and when i'm connected after 5 - 10 minutes i got crashed because of the last-year-virus (i forgot the name!) which is shutting down your machine.

BUT:
i solved it due a small workaround:
i setted windows to update each day at 1900 PM; i switched the clock to 1859PM and ... voila: the assistant pops up !

thanks for your help, nevertheless.

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
Poor Mushu!

*gives Mushu a cookie*

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Quote:Original post by coldacid
Poor Mushu!

*gives Mushu a cookie*

*gives coldacid a ratings++ (no one's ever given me a cookie before!)
For future reference: "shutdown -a" aborts the Windows shutdown procedure - a good weapon against, for example, Blaster worm.

Niko Suni

Try looking for a "WUtemp" folder on your hard disk. I think Windows stores downloaded updates in there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement