2d Pixel Sprites - Side Views

Started by
10 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 6 months ago
I am working on sprites for a 2d game and have a front view of a sprite and would like help with creating a good side-view image. Any Suggestions or resources???? Keep it SyKo, DaRk_oDiN
Advertisement
I always drew my characters in a 3d modeling tool, and then rendered them at the needed degrees.
The guy's working with me on a school project. Excuse him, he's a little slow.

Prod, that wouldn't really work, because this is 2D flat, not isometric, and the sprites are a little small for 3D modeling to work.

Anyway, what he's asking is this. I made a front-view sprite a while ago, but I'm not very good at animating or doing different directions. He volunteered (well, I assigned him) to make the side views and the walking animations. He doesn't know how to create a side view from a front view. And I don't, either.

When my website starts cooperating I'll post the picture on it to demonstrate.
http://edropple.com
Quote:Original post by Edward Ropple
The guy's working with me on a school project. Excuse him, he's a little slow.

Prod, that wouldn't really work, because this is 2D flat, not isometric, and the sprites are a little small for 3D modeling to work.

Unless you are artistically skilled, it's probably your best bet. My observation (personal experience) is that it is far easier to create nice-looking sprites through 3D modelling than it is to try to draw them, frame by frame, by hand. Observe:

This ugly fellow is rendered from a 3D model.

Quote:
Anyway, what he's asking is this. I made a front-view sprite a while ago, but I'm not very good at animating or doing different directions. He volunteered (well, I assigned him) to make the side views and the walking animations. He doesn't know how to create a side view from a front view. And I don't, either.

When my website starts cooperating I'll post the picture on it to demonstrate.

There's really no technical way of doing this. You can draw a few reference lines straight across, to aid in positioning the various parts in the side-view drawing, but it's still going to take some artistic ability.

With 3D modelling, you can easily attach the model mesh to a skeleton, setup and tweak the animation parameters, and output animation frames to image files. No tedious hand-drawing of in-between frames, and the resulting images are visually and artistically 'correct'-- proportions are the same across all frames, lighting and shadowing is consistent, etc... That in itself is a challenge for the non-skilled or semi-skilled sprite artist.
that definitely sounds like the easiest way if you have no artistic ability-cool.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Yeah...unfortunately, I know next to nothing about 3D modeling and am also trying to avoid the photorealistic look (because my tiles are most definitely NOT photorealistic, and that'd be odd).

For an idea as to the look and feel of my game's art, think Suikoden. Fairly colorful, lined sprites.

I'll post the finished one soon--I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it by hand.
You could try rendering Poser models into 2D as a template. Obviously any changes, colouring etc are required but you'd get the proportions and angles correct.
Poser isn't cheap but older versions have been on magazine coverdisks.
Quote:Original post by daviangel
that definitely sounds like the easiest way if you have no artistic ability-cool.

LOL . It just sounds so ;)

You need artistic skills to make a sprite or any other graphics, no matter if in 2d or 3d . I would even say that making it the 3d way is more effort in the beginning , because it is connected with the bigger learning curve. Lots to learn before your first sprite is walking ...

And it is sometimes harder to create a 3d mesh that is looking as good as the reference painting . But the result looks more accurate then . And rendering the result to bitmap is ways faster than pixeling all the single pictures one by one. And the more complex the animations , the bigger the gap :)

By the way , there are toon shaders to receive a cartoonish look ;)
tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de
Quote:
You need artistic skills to make a sprite or any other graphics, no matter if in 2d or 3d . I would even say that making it the 3d way is more effort in the beginning , because it is connected with the bigger learning curve. Lots to learn before your first sprite is walking ...

I have to say that my own personal experience contradicts this statement, though of course that is subjective. This image represents the two very first models I ever made in 3D:

Yes, they're crap. But compared to every single one of my hand-drawn attempts, they are masterpieces. The statue with the lightsaber I had modelled and animated to walk and swing his saber all within the space of maybe 2 hours--and much of that was spent learning the basics of Blender. A comparable animated sprite drawn by hand would have taken me many, many hours longer, and would not have turned out nearly so well.

Of course, my traditional art skills are still at the level of ass, but even after quite a bit of recent practice at 2D drawing, 3D modelling is still far easier and more natural-feeling.
Quote:Original post by VertexNormal

Yes, they're crap. But compared to every single one of my hand-drawn attempts, they are masterpieces. The statue with the lightsaber I had modelled and animated to walk and swing his saber all within the space of maybe 2 hours--and much of that was spent learning the basics of Blender. A comparable animated sprite drawn by hand would have taken me many, many hours longer, and would not have turned out nearly so well.

Of course, my traditional art skills are still at the level of ass, but even after quite a bit of recent practice at 2D drawing, 3D modelling is still far easier and more natural-feeling.

Yeah...well, it's going to be a little difficult, considering a) I'm not using isometric, just bird's-eye 2D, and b) the graphic in question looks a little like this:

...Yeah.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement