Does 2D Still Make Money?

Started by
38 comments, last by dist0rted 19 years, 6 months ago
I've been looking around at all the popular games, and the only 2D games you'll find now-a-days are for handhelds. Do any 2D computer games make it to the big times anymore?
=============================All knowledge is good; only the way it is put to use is good or evil.
Advertisement
i think only if it's shareware or bundled with something else.
if you were to sell a 2D game i would suggest a packaged bundle and with some network enabled game play.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I believe that for some anime-styled RPGs, 2D is still in use.

Personally, I am fed up with todays "top" games, which all use 3d, but largely feel alike, namely "3D". It was much better a few years ago, where games were based on gameplay and originality.

A category of games were I don't see any hindering reason for using 2D is cartoon adventures, which are rare nowadays. Think of toonstruck, or discworld.

Thermo/Konfu
I am HUNGRY for new 2D games.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
I am HUNGRY for new 2D games.

I agree and I think that we are not alone. I just wish I had the market research to get the funds to try and do something about it.
I personally think 2D games don't make full use of todays average PC resources, and handhelds suit them rather well. I'd rather play a tactics game on my GBA than PC anyway. Why? Because on PC I can play full-fledged RTS games.

Granted if I got the 2D game for $2 and it had amazing, addictive gameplay, and awesome multiplayer, then, I'd probably choose it. Its all about the competition: how would I rather spend my time?
you still have Veiwtiful Joey,The Sims,Civilizations III with expansions,Age of Mythology and that new zelda game but I forgot the name, but I think we need more original games insteed of movie clones, all of witch are crap.
Eat food and life is yours!
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Granted if I got the 2D game for $2 and it had amazing, addictive gameplay, and awesome multiplayer, then, I'd probably choose it.

It is surely a matter of opinion, but for some types of game, 3D is only distracting sugar-coat, and if the game provides good 2D arts, then why couldn't it be sold for 10 times more than $2?

Ok, I played way to many anime games, but IMHO, 3D rocks only if the game rocks. And 3D games, by large, are becoming worse, because the 3D technology eats more and more time (and catches more attention) which then can't be spend on gameplay.

Thermo
Quote:Veiwtiful Joey,The Sims,Age of Mythology

All of those are 3D.

Thermo
Actually, the original Sims uses a 2d engine. It is only with Sims 2 that the Sims have ventured into the world of dimensions three :) (that is, 3d :P)
Jason Olson - Software Developer[ Managed World ]
I like 2d games. A good 2d game with parallax scrolling in the background and good animations can look really good. The gameplay is also simplified so you are trying to master a small range of skillsets instead of trying to fiddle with hundreds. It's more fun because you can actually explore more ways of doing something because your limitations are more obvious.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement