• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dist0rted

Does 2D Still Make Money?

This topic is 5440 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What about online play in a 2D game? Would it work? Like deathmatch in a sidescroller. Would there be any interest for that?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by bL0wF1sH
Actually, the original Sims uses a 2d engine. It is only with Sims 2 that the Sims have ventured into the world of dimensions three :) (that is, 3d :P)

Actually there are no 3D games because there are no 3D holographic monitors/projectors. [smile]

Sims (one) uses an orthographic projection (no perspective), the characters and props are 3d models (in the sence that they are represented by vector data in 3 dimensions), they're also probably rendered using D3D8 or so.

Quote:
Original post by jamba
What about online play in a 2D game? Would it work? Like deathmatch in a sidescroller. Would there be any interest for that?

Search for XEvil. The main site seems to be down...

You guys are forgetting one of the best 2D games ever, and it just came out for the X-Box a few months ago. Metal Slug 3!

That game just kicks ass, and it's 2D!

Street Figher Alpha 3 and Wild Arms came out on playstation, and they are also 2D.

Hi Thermodynamics, I even own the alias "TrueThermo" :p

The Konfusing Thermo

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and Age of Empires 2 are very cool and fun, i would buy Jazz Jackrabbit 3 if it were.
gameplay and resource are the things that make games exciting and fun, more than the dimensions.
also, space shooters, board games, and puzzle games are fun and i think people will buy it.

Guest Anonymous Poster
LOL... ask PopCap if they're making any money.

Plenty of good multiplayer deathmatch sidescrollers if you look.

Some good ones:

Abuse (and its brother, FrAbs)
LieroXtreme (excellent worms-like game)
Jazz Jackrabbit 2

All of those games ara availabel online for free.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!