• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dist0rted

Does 2D Still Make Money?

This topic is 5439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
if you were to sell a 2D game i would suggest a packaged bundle and with some network enabled game play.
Sad that you assume that just because a game is 2D it will have no network enabled multiplayer.

Quote:
Original post by jamba
What about online play in a 2D game? Would it work? Like deathmatch in a sidescroller. Would there be any interest for that?
This is exactly what I'm planning for my first project.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Pxtl

All of those games ara availabel online for free.

I'm currently working on a "2D" game done in 3D from the side only, that we had originally intended to shop around to publishers. I'm starting to think we're not going to attract a whole lot of interest. You've got similar games online for free or on handhelds. My thinking was we'd hit an older crowd on consoles, that grew up with these type of games.

Jamba

I feel, personally, that there is potential still in the 2D gaming market. The key is to provide an experience that is one of the following:

A) More fun in 2D form than 3D (at least for some group of people) Which can either be done because it's more simple of controls, or just by the nature of how the game works. (For example, many people prefer the 2D Tetris to any of the 3D incarnations... not everyone, but enough that 2D Tetris games still sell. Not that you should try to sell a Tetris game, but as an example. :) Another good example would be Tactical turn based war games. Many people who play that genre regularly don't care if it's 3D or 2D, as it provides a similar if not identical experience. )

B) The content exceeds that of most 3D games (for instance, people will play a 2D game still if it provides so much gameplay and replay value that it is worth it to them. That, in my opinion, is why many 2D games on the GBA are successful.)

C) The content appeals to the "Old School" audience, those who want to relive the old gaming experience. (This appeals to bums like me, who are searching for a game that is a new experience, yet plays like the experiences we had as kids. Don't underestimate this market: it appeals to a great deal of the "Nintendo" generation.)

Anyways, I feel that these three factors, and possibly more that I'm overlooking, could play into making a profitable 2D game. And remember, if you can save a lot of money by making it in 2D, then you can sell it for less as well, which is always a plus. And of course, as a final note, just because it's 2D doesn't mean that the graphics are "bad". You can play many of the tricks that 3D designers do to produce similar effects.

Quote:
Original post by sYn pHrEAk
Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
if you were to sell a 2D game i would suggest a packaged bundle and with some network enabled game play.
Sad that you assume that just because a game is 2D it will have no network enabled multiplayer.

actually it's sad that you assumed that i assumed that theory. which for the record i never did. plus you have to remember that alot of people who play 2D games, played them on consoles. so sometimes, things like network mulitplayer (whether over the 'net or LAN) tend to be forgotten.

also for the record i have two games right now that are 3D games and don't have any network enabled multiplayer, so [razz]
[lol]

Quote by jamba:

Quote:
What about online play in a 2D game? Would it work? Like deathmatch in a sidescroller. Would there be any interest for that?

Have you heard about "soldat"? (German for soldier)

It's basically a Counterstrike,Quake,Worms clone done in 2d.
It has a really cool physics system, and lots of blood. =)
And it looks so uber1337. ;)

Go check it out, it's only 10 MB or so.
There are actually many clans for that game and it's even featured in the ESL. (electronic sports league)

www.soldat.pl

there you can download the shareware version, which is not time limited and full playable.
For 20$ or so you get the full version but it only lets you cusomize some colors and lets you add different profiles.

Trust me this game is the SHIIIET.

:) my 2 cents

I would think that the largest market for 2D games is for mobile platforms (phone handsets), where the potential for networked 2D games is huge, but rarely taken advantage of. But even this market is getting smaller thanks to the proliferation of OpenGL|ES and JSR 184 devices.

Guest Anonymous Poster
As long as there are systems that don't have 3D hardware (phones, handhelds), there will be a market for 2D games.

I know all too many people who still die for 2D gaming (me included). They are playing SNES and the like all the time.
NOTE: they also play the newest 3D-uber-1337-cr*p, but by large, few modern games can catch them for any longer time, because they like gameplay, and and not gameplay that is taken over by technology.
And they manage to spend all of their money for games, so take my word: There is a market.
But because, me and m<y friends are all freaks, so probably we ARE the market. ;D

KonfuThermo

Why is my rating trickling down? I thought I was nice :(

I have yet to see a modern game with the freaking awesome graphics of Seiken Dentensu 3 (secret of mana 2) and the gameplay of Tales of Phantasia (the linear(?) battle system). Boy I would pay big money for an actual english SNES cartidge of both those games, too bad they were never released in the US; Japan gets all the good stuff :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!