• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZinkForb

C++

This topic is 5409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sry for my lack of knowladge in C++ but the book i bought was crap...(never buy C++ for dummies...) --------------------------------------- I recentally started to take on C++ and i'm not really sure about 3D gfx in C++ and how they are used... I heard that OpenGL is used for that but i looked into it and appearentally i havta use Visual C++...and ive spent hours trying to get my hands on a download for it and i cant find ne thing so if some1 could let me know where i can get it (free) or if this is even the right way to go about 3D gfx in C++ id like to kno... thx people for listening

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I do not believe you can get visual c++ anywhere free unless you get a free trial version

You can download Visual C++ 2005 Express for free at MS' site. It's beta (but pretty good beta), and thus free.

It doesn't include MFC capabilities but it does include a kick-ass C++ standard compliant optimizing compiler and you can of course use the Windows SDK with it.

You don't need Visual C++ to compile C++ & OpenGL projects, any C++ compiler should be able to do the job just as well. There are quite a few freeware C++ compilers just google it!

Before you jump head first into C++ and OpenGL you should read some articles here at GameDev focusing on mathematics. 3d graphics is a complicated subject and though OpenGL is an API it doesn't mean you can get away with not understanding what a Matrix is.

Also if your C++ knowledge isn't that good then I wouldn't suggest jumping into OpenGL straight away I spent about 3 months practicing with C++ through console programs.

Thx Webbster!
(and every1 else that responded ^^)
that was exactally what i was looking for!
and ya ill read through some of those articles and work a little more at console programs tho i have a decent competency in console programs

ZinkForb - You may find Microsoft DirectX tutorials to be a quicker way to get started. I love OpenGL and DX, and would just guess Visual C++/DX tutorials might get you up and running with low frustration. That said, I wouldn't jump into any 3D graphics libraries without doing at least a few C++ tutorials. If C++ for dummies was frustrating to you, graphic API documentation might be a bit too much to ask. If you have a lot of experience with other languages, you already know what's reasonable to expect in the first few months with a new language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!