C++

Started by
6 comments, last by hundel 19 years, 6 months ago
Sry for my lack of knowladge in C++ but the book i bought was crap...(never buy C++ for dummies...) --------------------------------------- I recentally started to take on C++ and i'm not really sure about 3D gfx in C++ and how they are used... I heard that OpenGL is used for that but i looked into it and appearentally i havta use Visual C++...and ive spent hours trying to get my hands on a download for it and i cant find ne thing so if some1 could let me know where i can get it (free) or if this is even the right way to go about 3D gfx in C++ id like to kno... thx people for listening
--------------------------"...let the wookie win."What seems to be the officer problem?
Advertisement
I do not believe you can get visual c++ anywhere free unless you get a free trial version
Trial version fine with me....
but like i asked previously is that even the easiest/best way to go about C++ 3D gfx?
--------------------------"...let the wookie win."What seems to be the officer problem?
You can download Visual C++ 2005 Express for free at MS' site. It's beta (but pretty good beta), and thus free.

It doesn't include MFC capabilities but it does include a kick-ass C++ standard compliant optimizing compiler and you can of course use the Windows SDK with it.

"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
k thx rohde...
(im assuming that OpenGL is best for 3d gfx in C++ )
You don't need Visual C++ to compile C++ & OpenGL projects, any C++ compiler should be able to do the job just as well. There are quite a few freeware C++ compilers just google it!

Before you jump head first into C++ and OpenGL you should read some articles here at GameDev focusing on mathematics. 3d graphics is a complicated subject and though OpenGL is an API it doesn't mean you can get away with not understanding what a Matrix is.

Also if your C++ knowledge isn't that good then I wouldn't suggest jumping into OpenGL straight away I spent about 3 months practicing with C++ through console programs.
Thx Webbster!
(and every1 else that responded ^^)
that was exactally what i was looking for!
and ya ill read through some of those articles and work a little more at console programs tho i have a decent competency in console programs
ZinkForb - You may find Microsoft DirectX tutorials to be a quicker way to get started. I love OpenGL and DX, and would just guess Visual C++/DX tutorials might get you up and running with low frustration. That said, I wouldn't jump into any 3D graphics libraries without doing at least a few C++ tutorials. If C++ for dummies was frustrating to you, graphic API documentation might be a bit too much to ask. If you have a lot of experience with other languages, you already know what's reasonable to expect in the first few months with a new language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement