Orthographic Projection: I'm really stumped

Started by
8 comments, last by mitchbb 23 years, 6 months ago
Well, the 3-d portion of my program now has all its (very)basic parts in good working order. But now that I''m trying to create a 2D interface display in the same window, I''m getting nowhere fast. I''ve looked at NeHe''s tuts on bitmap fonts and the game tut with orthographic projection and nothing seems to work. Here is the section of code I''ve been trying to work with for my Interface class: GLvoid CInterface::DrawInterface() { glPushMatrix(); glLoadIdentity(); glOrtho(0.0f, 640, 480, 0.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f); PrintText(180, 20, "OpenGL Text -%7.2f", txtcnt1); glPopMatrix(); } GLvoid CInterface:rintText(GLint x, GLint y, const char *fmt, ...) { char text[256]; va_list ap; if (fmt == NULL) return; va_start(ap, fmt); vsprintf(text, fmt, ap); va_end(ap); glTranslated(x,y,0); glListBase(fontset - 32); glCallLists(strlen(text), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, text); } You''ll notice that PrintText() is virtually identical to Nehe''s glPrint(). My thinking was that I could switch projection matrix, do my orthogonal stuff, and then switch back to the original matrix. Like I said, the 3D stuff still works just fine with this code in there, but anything I try to display from within DrawInterface() just doesn''t show up on screen. I also tried drawing just a plain old quad onto the screen but that didn''t work either. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or can at least point me in the right direction, I''d appreciate it very much
Advertisement
glTranslated(x,y,0)...

i''m not familiar with this function, what does it do?
Look at the tutz
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
Anon,
It''s the same as glTranslatef() except with a double precision float. I don''t guess it''s really neccesary over a plain float right now, but Nehe used it so I figured I would too, might need it later

Slayer,
Like I said, I''ve looked over the tuts pretty thoroughly and still can''t figure out what I''m doing wrong. If you could perhaps be more specific I know I''ve overlooked something somewhere, the question is, *exactly* where?

Or do I need to do something with the modelview matrix to get this to work? Guess I''ll try working with that for a while and see what happens.
i think I know what happened

you tried to change your modelview matrix to ortho. but you have to change the projectionmatrix to it
here are two functions of my source:

NEHE DAVEPERMEN void WINDOW::Set_Perspective(float degrees,float front,float back)
{
//Go to the Projection Matrix to change it and set it to the Identity
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();

//Set the Perspective (and prevent a divide by Zero)
if(res.y!=0)
gluPerspective(degrees,res.x/res.y,front,back);
else
gluPerspective(degrees,res.x/1,front,back);

//Go back to the ModelMatrix to enable Rendering
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
}

NEHE DAVEPERMEN void WINDOW::Set_Paralax(float front,float back)
{
//Go to the Projection Matrix to change it and set it to the Identity
glLoadIdentity();

//Set the Matrix to 2D-Projection with (0,0) in the middle of screen
glOrtho(-res.x/2,res.x/2,-res.y/2,res.y/2,front,back);

//Go back to the ModelMatrix to enable Rendering
}

I think that should show you, what I mean..

we wanna play, not watch the pictures

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

your function then has to look like this:

GLvoid CInterface::DrawInterface()
{
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(0.0f, 640, 480, 0.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f);
PrintText(180, 20, "OpenGL Text -%7.2f", txtcnt1);
glPopMatrix();
}

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

Daverpermen,

Thank you very much for that info. I really appreciate a detailed response like that:-) It did clear up something I had read in the OpenGL Programming Guide which I wasn''t sure about.

Unfortunately, my text still isn''t displaying even though all my 3D stuff continues to render normally. Somehow, I am starting to suspect that the problem is somewhere in my object based framework.

Anyway, I think I am just going to go home and do some reading in the red book for the rest of the day, try to not sweat the details just yet. It''s obvious that I need to reread chapter 3 on viewing anyway. I''m sure the answer will come in time. And knowing me, it will probably be something silly that I forgot somewhere

Thanks again for your help
when you cant solve the problem, you probably could send me your source, and I take a look at it..
i had problems implementeing print, too (and for a long time) and from one moment, to the other, it worked.. and now, it works everytime

and, when it really doesn''t work, i perhaps could give you a little present (*GRIIINNNSS*)

ps: the GRINS means a big

pps: a VERY BIG

glTranslated is the double number version of glTranslatef

glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(80, winWidth/winHeight, 5, 10000);
glLoadIdentity();
glPushMatrix();
gluLookAt(cameraPOS[0],cameraPOS[1],cameraPOS[2], cameraDIR[0],cameraDIR[1],cameraDIR[2], 0,1,0);

// draw 3d stuff

glPopMatrix();
glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(0,winWidth,0,winHeight,-1.0,1.0);
glLoadIdentity();

// draw 2d stuff

hmmm a few to many glLoadIdentity()''s in there

ok, I think I know the problem:

CInterface uses, for the textcreation, gl-functions (wglTextfromBmp or something like this)in the constructor, and your MyInterface is global, means, the constuctor is called at the start of the program. But then you havent created yet your opengl-rendering-context, so wglTexblablah cant do anything, and so you dont create text, and then your Print cant work, too

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement