• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TAX

Solving systems of equations

This topic is 5472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was starting to build a small application that could build a polygon sphere, using a tetrahedron as a base. The idea is to subdivide the triangles into sets of 4 new. When subdivision is done every point should be moved to the surface of the sphere. My problem is this. I need 4 vertices to start out with, and I would like to place each vertice on the unit sphere. I choose to place the first point at {0,1,0}, and the second on in the XY plane where X > 0. I guess I would find the solution by solving the following set of equations. But how do I do that? Placement of the first point X_a = 0 Y_a = 1 Z_a = 0 //Second point on the XY plane where X_b > 0 Z_b = 0 //Every point shuld be placed on the unit sphere eq1: X_a^2+Y_a^2+Z_a^2-1=0 eq2: X_b^2+Y_b^2+Z_b^2-1=0 eq3: X_c^2+Y_c^2+Z_c^2-1=0 eq4: X_d^2+Y_d^2+Z_d^2-1=0 //The distance "d" between every point should be equal. eq5: (X_a-X_b)^2+(Y_a-Y_b)^2+(Z_a-Z_b)^2-d=0 eq6: (X_a-X_c)^2+(Y_a-Y_c)^2+(Z_a-Z_c)^2-d=0 eq7: (X_a-X_d)^2+(Y_a-Y_d)^2+(Z_a-Z_d)^2-d=0 eq8: (X_b-X_c)^2+(Y_b-Y_c)^2+(Z_b-Z_c)^2-d=0 eq9: (X_b-X_d)^2+(Y_b-Y_d)^2+(Z_b-Z_d)^2-d=0 eq10: (X_c-X_d)^2+(Y_c-Y_d)^2+(Z_c-Z_d)^2-d=0 I keep loosing my track. How can I solve the equations?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
One easy way to generate a tetrahedron is place the vertices at non-adjacent corners of a cube, e.g. at

(1, 1, 1)
(1,-1, -1)
(-1, 1, -1)
(-1, -1, 1)

The tetrahedron edges then are diagonals of the cube faces, one edge per face.

This is a cube with side 2, diameter sqrt(6) and so radius sqrt(3), so to put them on a unit sphere divide by sqrt(3).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!