• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telastyn

C++ Learning

This topic is 5408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This might be a silly question, but I'd like to stir up a little debate. Why is the STL and exception handling taught at the end of C++ classes/books? Looking back at my progression through the language, it seems a little odd that some of the data type areas [in the STL] are removed from the rest [arrays, char *], and some of the error handling [try/throw/catch] is removed from the rest [if/then/else/return]. As someone who's not yet learned the STL or exception handling, I wonder if picking them up would be far less difficult if I wasn't already familiar and comfortable with the others. Looking around the forums here, I wonder if beginners wouldn't be far better off learning STL strings and vector/lists rather than fumbling through [char] arrays. So what do others think? Do students need to know templates before learning the STL, preventing its use until later? Is this just a symptom of the "C then C++" style many books follow?

Advertisement
In Accelerated C++ the learning order is more logical, IMHO. I don't know when it teaches about exceptions, but the standard library is used from the very beginning. I think the problem is C then C++ as you say.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!