a new guy

Started by
10 comments, last by Palidine 19 years, 6 months ago
how should i start? ive been into c++ for a few weeks now. should i be using something else? how should i start to become a graphic artist? i have a team of 3 so far. is there any number you recommend? thx
Advertisement
Quote:
how should i start?

From the beginning.

Quote:
ive been into c++ for a few weeks now.

Welcome!

Quote:
should i be using something else?

If you want.

Quote:
how should i start to become a graphic artist?

Drop programming, and learn how to draw.

Quote:
i have a team of 3 so far.

Congrats.

Quote:
is there any number you recommend?

Pi.

Seriously, what do you need to know? I don't understand your post.
Once you've learned C++ you'll need to find a game programming library that you'd like to use. Some libraries are cross platform, and will work on Windows, Mac, Linux, etc, and some libraries are platform specific (like DirectX for Windows).

Once you've chosen a library, read up on the SDK (if it has one) and search around for tutorials and source code. Read all that you can, and then try to make a small project of your own. Start out by displaying an image to the screen. Then try playing a sound. Then try animating your image, and so forth. Eventually you'll have the knowledge you need to make a complete game.

Over at the Game Programming Wiki we have a list of a number of C++ game programming libraries, and the pros and cons of each (just click on "What is SDL?", for example). We also have a list of free C++ development environments for various platforms, in case you need one :)

I'd suggest looking into SDL. It's powerful, works on many platforms, and has a number of great plug-in libraries. It also works with OpenGL, if you want to get into 3D.

I hope this'll help you get started!

Ryan
--Visit the Game Programming Wiki!
thanks ryan clark unlike som others here
are you wanting to be a game programmer AND graphic artist? or just a graphic artist? If you are only wanting to be a graphic artist who works on game projects, then you will not need to learn C++ ... intead your time would be better spent learning various art concepts, modeling, drawing and editing tools, and the basic IDEAS of render, shading, and visual effects (but not how to code them).

A graphic artist these days needs to understand translucence, refraction, color tones, flare (aka glare), etc ... to do 3D modeling or rendering work. and everything else ...

A graphic artist needs to understand things like photoshop, filters and plugins, color spaces, opacity, etc ... to do 2D or texturing work. and everything else ...

but there really is no formula ... you just find what areas of art and content creation you are interested in - and you start playing around and learning / experimenting ...

2D image editing tools might be usefull (some names: Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, The GIMP, Paint, ...)

3D modeling tools might be usefull (some names: 3D Studio Max, Maya, Lightwave, trueSpace, Blender, Milkshape, ...)

3D rendering tools also (mostly now modeling and rendering tools are integrated as one product, but there are exceptions)

2D drawing tools might be usefull (some names: Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, ... )

There are many other specialized tools such as: any of the Kai's software, Bryce 3D, or Poser, ... more i can't remember right now.
Quote:Original post by Xai
are you wanting to be a game programmer AND graphic artist? or just a graphic artist?

just a graphic artist
Sorry Jaydude, I guess I misunderstood your question.

If you just want to be a graphic artist, you don't need to do any of the things I suggested :) Instead, I'd suggest you go and download a 3D modelling tool, such as the free Blender3D program and work your way through some modelling tutorials. Even if you don't end up using Blender3D in the long run, just having the 3D modelling skils will be a great help to you.

You'll probably also need to learn how to use 2D graphic tools. Try downloading the GIMP and working with that.

Good luck!

Ryan
--Visit the Game Programming Wiki!
The GIMP is very, very nice, especially if you already have some skills in art. I can make decent-looking stuff in it, and I have more-or-less no artistic skills at all.

And it's free.

Just wondering, what are you using C++ for at all if you're only going to do graphics? It really isn't something you need to learn (unless I missed something), and, uh...maybe you should apologize to mike, lest you look like a quote-unquote "douchebag"?
Things change.
Quote:Original post by Boku San
What are you using C++ for at all if you're only going to do graphics?

im gunna help the team program too, were all learning a little bit of each, but a lot of one thing.
Quote:Original post by Ryan Clark
Try downloading the GIMP and working with that.

which one do i download??
theres so many!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement