Sign in to follow this  
Codejoy

J2ME sure can codeit, runit on emulator. how to test on device?

Codejoy    122
So I don't have a phone yet, but I want to get more into J2ME etc..and I know that testing an app on an emulator only goes so far..Im curious how one can test these apps on an actual cell p hone device (thats J2ME enabled of course). I mean, I don't recall these phones coming with a USB sync cable or anything...granted ive been out of the cell-phone user demographic for quite some time, still, Ithought most apps are distributed to paying customers wirelessly, but what if Im the developer and simply want to give the app to a friend, or copy it to my own J2ME enabled phone to test? Sorry if its a dumb question, but never really found the answer for this. Shane

kooktroop    176
Luckily most phones now days support a USB connection. Some of the high end phones will include the USB cable with the phone on purchase. But ive found most nokias do not come with a USB cable and require that you go in and buy the cable as an extra.

You may find that for some phones the best way to get the application across to it is through the paying portal. This is difficult if you dont have a webserver with the jad and jar types setup properly.Of course there are many tutorials and discussion boards that can help you set this up on your webserver.

Provided your friends have the same phone you could just use USB to send your game over. I personally prefer to use Bluetooth because its compatible with so many phones. Bluetooth can let you send and receive images, music and your application without the need for wires. For this you will need to buy a bluetooth (don't get a spirit) adapter for your computer and double check your phone supports bluetooth.

Another solution maybe Infrared. Just like bluetooth you will need to buy an adapter for the PC and ensure that your phone supports IR. I'm yet to use IR so i can't comment on it. But ive been told its just as usefull as bluetooth, only i imagine you will have to use the phone or vendor specific software to send and receive data from the phone.

Codejoy    122
Thanks guys, this isi what i needed. Thinking bout investing in the J2ME game programming book...what phone to get.. hmmm

dirty secret:I want a ngage sorta :D

oh , can i get pretty far coding a game up without testing it on the device and just using the emulator u think?
Thanks,
Shane

Zahlman    1682
Personally, I use infrared; it works fine overall, but I've had some annoying problems with driver conflicts. (Had to get updated drivers for my IR transmitter before it would work with *any* Nokia phones, although it worked perfectly with a Siemens S55, and even though it was supposed to be plug-and-play under WinXP. And then I found that certain Nokia phone models required additional drivers from Nokia, and certain other phone models require that you *uninstall* those additional drivers... sheesh.) IR is widely supported on phones from what I can tell, especially Nokia and Siemens.

The N-gage QD is a decent phone, it's smaller than the original N-gage and looks nicer IMO too :)

And as for what emulator testing will tell you... if you're using Sun's emulator from the WTK or some other generic emulator, you're going to find that it's pretty worthless. The emulators made by the various phone manufacturers (but not Sony-Ericsson! They just put a skin over the WTK emulator!) do a pretty good job of representing how things will work on their phones in general, but:

- processing speed (and especially, graphics primitives drawing speed) may not be modelled with any kind of accuracy
- Threading issues may come up on the phone that don't on the emulator, partly because of the speed issue and partly because of differences in threading implementation in phone OS vs your computer's OS
- The emulators have bugs in them; in particular, Nokia's "generic series 60" emulator freezes a *lot*, and seriously butchers MMAPI emulation. I'm told these are improved in newer versions of the emulator (I have a really old one) but are still quite problematic.
- The phone KVMs have bugs in them, which don't necessarily have any correspondence to the emulator bugs. For example, on the series 60 phones, if you drawString() to an offscreen Graphics buffer, the text is always black, which is wrong. IIRC the emulator gets it right (text colour is determined by the most recent .setColor() on the Graphics).

Codejoy    122
Thanks for the info. I was afraid the emulator alone would be too inadaquate till I could get a phone of my own. Crapola. Well I guess phone dev of my games can hold off. We currently develop for the Zodiac (www.tapwave.com) and its been pretty much a dream to code for (though development costs for just the Codewarrior ide.) its palmOS based, so you could use the palm OS SDK, but ot get at the zodiac specific stuff you really need codewarrior (unless your a massochist).

But I DO want to get hot and heavy into j2me development, as far as I can tell the compiler is free, along with the sdks (jdks?) and perhaps even an IDE or two is out there for it thats free.

Anyone recomend any specific phones to target?( or buy to use for testing?) )

Thanks,
Shane

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Personally i develop for SonyEricsson but it seems like Nokia have better developer support (the grass is always greener...).

Best way to distribute apps is to have them on a webserver. Just tell your friend the address of the .jad file.