DDS(new!), TGA and PCX thumbnail support for MS-WinXP! public BETA test

Started by
26 comments, last by Seriema 19 years, 6 months ago
One minor complaint; I keep all my downloads and installers in a folder in case of reinstallations; however, the files which add PCX/TGA support delete themselves [sad]
Optional?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Advertisement
Just posting to say that preliminary DDS support has entered closed beta status... so development is moving forward.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
OK! That's easy to fix. I'll implement it till next release =) Would you prefer a Message box asking you if you want to delete it, or just leave a copy there so you delete it if you want to manually. I vote for the later. [edit] Ok it's done! I'll be adding version checking tomorrow probably. Any comments how it should react when installing a older/same/newer version? My first thought would be to just tell the user if the Thumbnail Extractor being installed is older/same/newer. But I could add the option to remove the old and add the new if the new version is newer than the old (wow... say that 10 times fast!).

The next release will include DDS support and support for multiple image formats per Thumbnail Extractor. So stay tuned!!

[edit] hey there Digital =D
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Also, I just installed with .NET framework 1.0 on my system and it brought up scary messages when installing. I had to uninstall, install 1.1, then try again before it'd work.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Sorry about that =( But the user interface (ExtractorManager.exe) is written in C#.NET and thus requires the user to have .NET installed. I'll try to bring it down to 1.0 instead of 1.1 though. I wanted to distribute the needed .NET framework with my install, but it doesn't seem possible. If there are more people without .NET installed I'll consider rewriting the user interface using wxWidgets or something else that doesn't require anything special from the user.

Oh, and was the message really scary or was that just a joke? =) Because the current message is: "Sorry you don't have .NET Framework installed. Please download and install 'Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package' from www.MicroSoft.com. The installer will now abort.". If someone has a suggestion I'll change the message.

Thank you for your comments, they are very valuable! =) *gives caek*
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
I don't have .net installed and would perfer to hold off as long as I can on installing it.

Lead Coder/Game Designer for Brutal Nature: http://BrutalNature.com

After considering porting the ExtractorManager to wxWidgets I've come to the conclusion that this would take to much time, time that I could spend on introducing new features to ThumbView.

A superb idea from DigitalDelusion is that I make a simple console app. This is so great since I have one from the Alpha stage and that the functionality is in Registry.dll. So I'll be spiffing up the old console version after my "date" in a few hours ;) How I'll do with the installer I'll have to check up on after that.

Is this satisfactory benryves and BlackMoons? That you who don't want .NET have to settle for a small console application for managing the extractors?
Quote:Original post by Seriema
So I'll be spiffing up the old console version after my "date" in a few hours ;)

Heeeheee... he said date...

does she have a lot of ram? a nice gfx-card meebe? 64bit cpu?

:P~
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Oh, and was the message really scary or was that just a joke?

It was more along the lines of (just at the end of the installation) "Couldn't start xxxx.dll", where xxxx.dll was a .net DLL.

Quote:Original post by benryves
Oh, and was the message really scary or was that just a joke?

It was more along the lines of (just at the end of the installation) "Couldn't start xxxx.dll", where xxxx.dll was a .net DLL.

What? Really? Was that beta 1.0.0? Because the installer of Beta 1.0.1 should check before installing =/ Beta 1.1.0 will be released any day now, and that includes a check'er for .NET as well as a alternative executable (a console version made in plain C++). It will notify on install that you don't have .NET and a console version of ExtractorManager will be installed instead. Please contact me if the problem remains even after the new beta.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement