Sign in to follow this  
ChaosEngine

std::string already declared...

arrrghh...I must be losing it. Having a really stupid problem, that's annoying the hell out of me. I have a class in a library that depends on std::string, so the lib author has included <string> in the class header. Problem is when I try to link the library in, I'm getting tonnes of std::string already declared linker errors. This is what comes of taking 3 months off from coding. I know it's something really simple...put me out of my misery

Isn't this what #pragma once commands do? Something like forcing everything to be defined only one time?

I'm really a complete newb with stuff like this, but if you're linking with the lib and still including <string>, you could try removing your #include first, and see if that helps.

Yeah, actually Boku San's suggestion seems to me like a good place to start. Can we see the header at all? What library is it? Alternatively, and though I very much doubt this would have an effect, you might look through your project headers to make sure you #pragma once'd or #ifndef HEADER_NAME...'d everything.

Quote:
I have a class in a library that depends on std::string, so the lib author has included <string> in the class header. Problem is when I try to link the library in, I'm getting tonnes of std::string already declared linker errors.
Not sure I understand what's going on. Is the linker giving you duplicate symbol errors? How was the library distributed (source, shared, static)?

Generally it can cause problems having templated classes such as std::string in the public interface of libraries.

The library writer should either wrap the string class in its own class for use with the public interface or use const char*.