Card Games

Started by
13 comments, last by GameVoid 19 years, 6 months ago
Why don't people uh...make card games anymore? I mean, pair an artist with someone with a logical mind (read: programmer) and draw up a thousand or so cards. Test play it, balance it, and pitch it to someone. I mean, look at Magic: The Gathering; even today it's one of the most popular card games in the world, and it was started by some guys in a basement drawing cards. I'm thinkin' of a few ideas for an RPG with card-based combat, because A.) They're fun. B.) They're engaging -- no more hack/slash/hack/win combat C.) They allow for a lot of plot -- why do they work? Is there a downside? Can the cards be taken/destroyed? So...that's my thing. I wish somebody would come out with an original card/-based game. [Edited by - Sandman on September 30, 2004 4:58:05 AM]
Things change.
Advertisement
Quite possibly it's because of the sheer number of Trading Card Games on the market. That, and they are fads, each and everyone of them. They are designed to rake in money and require people to keep an interest in the game less becasue of its merits and more because of the overall addiction they aim to create. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the seemingly endless number of expansions that are essentially gambling for kids.

Before TCGs became what most kids think of as card games, people just made new games using the same old deck of 52 playing cards that were used for centuries, occasionally adding in the Jokers.

After that, specialized card decks were made for more specific games. UNO is probably the most recognizable of these. They were still one-set sells until the cards were worn out.

As for me, I've been [very] slowly trying to design a specialized card game akin, but not too much so, to TCGs, based more around the battle aspect. I drew my inspiration from different card minigames that appeared in a few Role Playing Games, as well as the RPGs themselves. I haven't decided if it will be a solitary set, or multiple, but they will be sold as sets, not chances at pulling a truly good card.

Keep in mind that cards are a format :
+ Easily stored in a small space.
+ Simple randomization from shuffling.
+ Representations of values, actions, or objects.
+ A light blocking color to lessen all parties' ability to cheat.
+ Multiple pieces can readily be held in a single hand.
+ Pieces can be stacked, typically with enough information on each edge for identification.
That card game seems original in some ways and could work. But also art can attract people and give them another reason to buy it. Don't you guys think that If you put too many rules and have too much clutter it might turn off some people?

I think many should try to develop a card game for fun and might learn some new designs.
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Well, newer FFs generally have some kind of "card" or "coin" minigame involved along in the plot... and many other RPGs have similar sidequesting (thinking Breath of Fire 3's fairy land games).

Making battles solely dependant on the cards would be interesting, though. I think it might be construed as a Yugiho or Pokemon (or whatever) ripoff in the aspect that it's a collect 'em to kill others kind of game. Which, theoretically, it is.

I think the real trick here would be to place more emphasis on the skill of the player, rather than having super smite-all cards. Granted, with this path you can run into the problem of making the game too complicated, which is another no no pitfall.

So, if you were to make a card game, you'd have to be extremely careful how you laid out the dynamics of the game. I'd have to be interesting, and have good replay value. And, hell, good PR never hurt anyone [wink]!
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Well, newer FFs generally have some kind of "card" or "coin" minigame involved along in the plot... and many other RPGs have similar sidequesting (thinking Breath of Fire 3's fairy land games).

Making battles solely dependant on the cards would be interesting, though. I think it might be construed as a Yugiho or Pokemon (or whatever) ripoff in the aspect that it's a collect 'em to kill others kind of game. Which, theoretically, it is.

I think the real trick here would be to place more emphasis on the skill of the player, rather than having super smite-all cards. Granted, with this path you can run into the problem of making the game too complicated, which is another no no pitfall.

So, if you were to make a card game, you'd have to be extremely careful how you laid out the dynamics of the game. I'd have to be interesting, and have good replay value. And, hell, good PR never hurt anyone [wink]!

Okay...don't mean to take this topic, raise it from the grave, and put 3 +1/+1 tokens on it, but I just read that post again and I got an idea...

What if the game played more like one of those tabletop collectable games (read: Heroclix or, uh...one of those other ones.), and instead of units recovering health every turn, their health was kept track of? That way, if you attack one of their monsters three turns in a row, you'll probably kill it, even if all of your monsters are weak.

What if cards only regenerated if they went one turn after losing health without being attacked? One forseeable problem with those tabletop games (never played any) is that the person with the most units could win, and if careful planning would allow a player to keep their stronger units...I guess battles could be longer and more engaging or something.

*Removes 1 +1/+1 counter from topic*
Things change.
I thought about having a gauged Health / Strength attribute, but found that it would be cumbersome to keep track of. All I could come up with was tracking the stat via dice or tokens that would sit on a meter printed on the card. Both methods just seemed too sloppy for a card game. Maybe others could brainstorm up a better idea.

I will agree that at this point any card game invloving battles will have a hard time overcoming the expectations created by current TCGs. I think part of that is marketting, namely not targetting a youth audience that likely can't comprehend the game with months of experience and blitzing them with cartoons for their money. Not many parents are invloved in these games along with their kids, which I believe is a mistake not to try encouraging.
If its a card collection game team you are seeking to join or take a look at then I doubt that youhave or havent seen a few of my old posts here on the forum before.
I am currently still in production of a 25,000 card collection game.

9,000 cards for the earth realm deck
9,000 cards for the dark realm deck
7,000 cards for the mysterious deck taht is set up for the earth realm deck.

The cards are completed and even for the attack/defense system.
I am looking for monster/creature detail team helpers.
And having the team helpers work on the names as well.

The game has an earth realm map and then you can flip the map over and play on the dark realm map.

In 1 year and 7 months I have hand cut the entire card deck.

If you would like to see new features or team up as a volunteer or what have ya. Please let me know by
Aim:bulldogracing27
or email Bulldogracing27@aol.com

See you all in the future of gaming.

BullDog
BullDogRacing27
There used to be some free ones online including my favorite, Triple Triad (the card Game from FF8... the only reason i kept on playing FF8 :P... the addiction went so far, i ordered tons of boosters from Japan...). Anyways, they seem to die out slowly, due to lack of interest :(

I was thinking about making a new triple triad online game (the other one was under www.tripletriadx.com if anyone remembers?)

But it will probably suffer the same fate.. *sigh* Those good ol days...

Maybe card games need something new, something innovative again. The innovative (in a way... at least) about TCG was obviously the Trading and Collecting part. Maybe something like "costumizable" cards? Where you could put together your cards like puzzle pieces. What i am getting at is this (lets say this were implemented in Magic):

You have a monster card, Lets say some "Wierd Ass Goblin" with 2/2.
Now, you have 2 "addon" cards, say "Boots of the Programmer" which add Haste, and "Axe of the Nerd" which does a +4/+0. And you could "stick" them on somehow.

For this to work however, the cards must be specially designed so that the "addons" actually stay on the card... Personally, i'd love to see that.

It would not only give it more tactical aspects, but you wouldnt need to buy that much stuff, just to get better cards, you could just re equip...

Just my 2 cents :)
-----------------Live for the LordRide for the Lordwww.sturmnacht.de.vu
I'm currently working to combine card collecting with arcade game. Basically, once you have this card (obtainable from the machin itself) you can swipe it in and it does something for you..

The design itself is very simplistic, there are two kinds of card, Character & powerup card. Basically, teh player controlling a character, and they can power it up. That's ot, some of the card give you damage bonus, health bonus, special properties, etc..
Since this game meant for younger player, I was asked to make the system as simple as possible, meaning, no 'defend phase' each turn comes with both player attacking each other.

What do you think?
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." - Christopher Reeve (1952-2004)
I'm glad to see that this topic is double plus undead again.

CaTZ:
F-Zero had this "card swiping" arcade system, but it never really surfaces (read: at all) in my area. As I understand it, it allowed you to create a profile card the first time you played at the arcade, allowing you to customize a face, description, etc. After, you could continue to track stats in each race you used the card in. I'd actually really enjoy this kind of stat tracking, especially in arcade fighters/racers (sports games seem to be declining in arcades especially fast).

SturmNacht:
Maybe boosters could [sometimes] include a card that, instead of having a normal gameplay card, included add-on "stickers" for cards. This could be complicated, because the descriptions of add-ons would have to be limited (or cards would have to be made much, much bigger). Still, it could add collector's value to cards (rare cards + rare stickers = rare pricing), and clever stickers could add family-safe laugh value. Or they could all roll with a dark theme and be completely teen-safe. All sounds great to me if it works.

Bulldogracing:
I didn't really understand your post, but I'll consider requesting information through your email if I'm interested.

SonicSilicon:
You're right. To keep track of something like that, you need something either on the cards or something else that you won't need too many of. When I played M:TG (long time ago), I used to love the feeling of swamping an opponent with dozens of monsters within the first few turns of a game (green-white all t3h way bebe). A clever person could come up with a way to display stats on the cards, but I, for the moment, am on medicine, and I'm going to sleep.

Night.
Things change.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement