Build scripts?

Started by
8 comments, last by flangazor 19 years, 6 months ago
What is a build script?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Advertisement
Uhh...I'd say a file that instructs any given thing in how to assemble itself, if I had to give a generic definition.

Build script for what might get more replies, Mr. Catch-phrase.
Things change.
How would I make a build script and why is it better then simply pressing build project?
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Good IDEs and build scripts are nearly opposites. You only need a build script when you want to do complex build instructions or when you want to be able to build without and IDE (for ex on an open source library you're distributing, you don't want to force people to use your IDE, so you might include a build script with some options for various GCC configs)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Good IDEs and build scripts are nearly opposites. You only need a build script when you want to do complex build instructions or when you want to be able to build without and IDE (for ex on an open source library you're distributing, you don't want to force people to use your IDE, so you might include a build script with some options for various GCC configs)

so its pretty much useless to me. Thanks.
Makefiles are the most common form of build scripts. They are simply a set of rules parsed by a program (make, natch) and then executed. Basically, they make sure all the libraries are linked and all the paths are setup, run the compiler, and do everything else a modern IDE does, and much, much more.
Do yourself a favor and read this article. *Everyone* needs a build script.
Quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Do yourself a favor and read this article. *Everyone* needs a build script.

thanks.
It isn't "better", but rather differant. It's better in some situations and worse in others. Having to manually maintain a build script during development of a complex application is worse than having it automated by the IDE. Having to set there and open hundreds of projects and click build is worse than simply having to build a script that runs all the scripts that build the individual projects. It is particularly worse if it is going to take 48 hours to build everything.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
A makefile is a build script.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement