what is "game engine" ?

Started by
6 comments, last by HQ-SOFT 19 years, 6 months ago
I am new to java game development. What is "java game engine" ? is that a library for game programming ? Any link is welcome.
Advertisement
There are way to many of these, see that search button? ok simple what is a car engine, and what is its purpose?
People have different definitions of what a game engine is. According to me, a game engine is just the code that manages the interactions between characters, takes input from the keyboard, and plays sounds when appropriate, as well as hundreds of other duties including memory management.

Basically, everything else other than the graphics, which the "graphics engine" takes care of.
A game engine is a bunch of code that wraps up all the low level stuff for you. It usually provides graphics, sound, input and/or network functions and classes, to make your life easier. For example, you can get the Quake engine, or the Unreal engine or something much simpler like a tile engine for creating tile-based games. A Java game engine is a bunch of classes for Java that'll help you write a game.

I don't have any links handy, but give google a try, its bound to have thousands of links.
EDIT: From the Forum FAQ:
Free and Commercial Engines
www.darkbasic.com
www.blitzbasic.com
crystal.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php
www.neoengine.org/
www.ogre3d.org/
fly3d.com.br/
www.panardvision.com/v3/
Although they're not nessecarily in Java.
That means : you still need to write java coding, right?

But we have lots of macromedia products, Flash, Director... to develop game. So, why we need to do coding ?

Thanks
That has hurt.
Quote:Original post by czy11421
That means : you still need to write java coding, right?

But we have lots of macromedia products, Flash, Director... to develop game. So, why we need to do coding ?

Thanks

Can you write a Flash game without writing a single line of ActionScript?

No matter what tool (flash, java, c++, etc.) you use to create the game, you will still need to write some sort of code.

As for what a game engine is... I'll give it a shot.

A game engine is the "how" of a game. How do we draw a monster on the screen? How do we make sure we the game doesn't crash? How do we get user input? And so on.

Game data and game-specific logic is the "what" of a game. What kind of monster's are there? What do they look like? What sort of sound effects are used? What happens when you enter a door? And so on.

There's probably a lot of problems with my definition... You should probably come up with your own definition.

-HQ.
[imwithstupid]

-HQ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement