Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

HDR/Glow -- Whats the diff? [Demo + Screens Included!]

silvermace    634
Hi all, i've just been playing around with some "post process" screen effects.. ie. HDR-like glow. here are my results! and here is the demo exe if any one wants to see it in action (Requires some DX9 hardware [Tested on R9500Pro, GF5900XT) my question is this, as you can see from the screenshot, it looks quite "glow-ey"; besides the slight blur and soft look of glow, whats the difference with True HDR? cheers, Danu

Sneftel    1788
Well, there's no way to represent "true HDR" on commercially available monitors, because monitors are incapable of dynamic range. Glow and saturate-to-white are pretty much just useful ways of faking it.

jeckleDev    122
Well , the difference is that you start from low range texture and that you scale it to obtain a HDRI look.

HDRI use a texture containing much more informations about lighting that a simple RGB texture. It uses values that are not clamped to 1. Then when rendering you have to choose only a range in this HDR values.

You sample "looks like" HDRI, but it is not, since interaction with light will not be the same.

Cédric