the step to making game

Started by
15 comments, last by anist 19 years, 6 months ago
I wanted to make my first 2D game.but I only know about c++.How could I make 2D game like Super Mario Brothers.Should I study Direct X or OPENGL or clanlib?It confusing me.Who could tell me the step to making my first 2D game.Are there any tutorials about it? whether should I learn from source code?if so where could I find it?later.I wanted to make my 3D game?the step?
Advertisement
I have used OpenGL quite a bit and it is a pure 3D graphics lib. But a nice thing is that you can just ignore the third dimension to make a 2D application, and thats easier than it sounds. So the step between 2D and 3D is not that hard to take.
(I don't know about DirectX or clanlib (whatever that is...))
You can start right here or here. You'll need to learn some form of graphics API in order to present the game world to the user - three popular ones are Direct3D (used for both 3d and 2d), OpenGL (3d and 2d) and SDL (2d only). Everything you need is right here on the internet - tutorials, examples, SDKs, and most questions you have can be answered via Google or Gamedev.net.

Jackson Allan
if you are finding directx and opengl too confusing I'd suggest allegro and "game programming all in one" 2nd edition which pretty much walks you stepbystep to making a 2d sidescroller type games like mariobros.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
if you feel ready for the graphics world then try both, ogl and dx. after trying i decided i like ogl more but thats just my opinion. i friend of me likes dx more. but it doesnt really matter. just roll a dice, google for tutorials and start a small project. i found it very useful to have (working) code in tutorials... you can then take this code and look at it and change things and see how it affects the program. just dont copy and paste things you dont understand. try to find out and then use your knowledge to reinvent the wheel (i know some ppl think it isnt necessary to reinvent everything but it helps understanding how it works. i invented all kinds of wheels since i started programming. none was circular but some came near.) there are many articles here on gamedev (the links jack_1313 posted) for beginners and advanced game programmers. google search on newsgroups turned out to be helpful for me as well.

hope this helps...

BiGF00T

PS: dont overestimate the choice of programming language or direcx vs. opengl thing. everything you learn can be applied to other languages or gfx libs. if you decide to switch to the other then just do it. its easy after you learned one of them.
i liked the NEHE tutorials here on this site... they have working source code (this has to be pointed out because many source files from other tuts never worked for me and being a n00b i couldnt find out why.) and i think they give you some nice examples of what you can do with opengl. if you decide to use directx then just google for a beginner tutorial.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Quote:Original post by tengfeigoon
I wanted to make my first 2D game.but I only know about c++.How could I make 2D game like Super Mario Brothers.Should I study Direct X or OPENGL or clanlib?It confusing me.Who could tell me the step to making my first 2D game.Are there any tutorials about it? whether should I learn from source code?if so where could I find it?later.I wanted to make my 3D game?the step?

CLICKY
hello! I'm new here at gamedev. I just want to know how to incorporate 3d graphics from--lets say--3ds max. I only need to know how its done. I wont have any problems in coding. I just need to know, again, how its done.
Thats great!
Just export them (for example, in .x format), import them into your game (using D3DX), and you are fine!
Really, you can't expect a helpful answer without providing more information.

Thermo
Start with 2D first, 3D is really confusing if you dont know anything about 2D.

Read this Thoughts on a Project for a begginner

Instead of trying jump into windows programming, it might be better if your started with dos, which is much simpler.Mode13h is a good mode to start with.Just look to the internet(google) and you should find loads of tuts which show you the simplest stuff in graphics (both 2D and 3D) like setting a pixel, drawing lines, polygon filling etc which are ther very basics of graphics programming.

Move on to OpenGL and DirectX after you have done a game in Mode13h.You will learn a lot of real graphics basics.Also I preffer OpenGL to DirectX.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend DOS programming today. He would be learning a lot of outdated/misleading stuff (I just remember someone posting "use small memory model in win32" or the like... thats braindead)
I have a better idea:
Use SDL. Look (on the web) for SDL DrawPixel/ReadPixel (maybe put/getpixel).
Then you have the exact possibilites for your creativity as with mode 0x13, but of course on Windows, with all sorts of graphics modes supported. It really can't become easier than with SDL.
Thats the way I am gonna write a Raycaster now (inspired by the raycaster thread).

Thermo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement