the step to making game

Started by
15 comments, last by anist 19 years, 6 months ago
First thing I suggest learning is BitBlt'ing. Its the method of displaying images and ultimatley animating them. DirectX and OpenGl uses BitBlt'ing to copy data from one buffer to the actual video memory that will be displayed on the screen.

I would start out by using C++ win32 API and creating simple games like TicTacToe, or Breakout. Once you have that down pretty good start doing some simple DirectX and OpenGL tutorials.

Good Luck
-=Carnage=-Let the carnage begin...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend DOS programming today. He would be learning a lot of outdated/misleading stuff (I just remember someone posting "use small memory model in win32" or the like... thats braindead)

You have a point there it's true, but since tengfeigoon says he knew only C++, Mode13h is a very nice entry level thing for graphics programming.Windows programming will be a bit complex with it's diffrence from the usual DOS way of thought.My policy is when you are trying to learn something keep the new stuff as minimal as possible.

Once he gets the hang of what goes into a game, then he should be ready to take on the next level and enter Windows programming.

Once the basics of win32 programming are in, OpenGL and DirectX are free game... to hunt ;)

Quote:
I have a better idea:
Use SDL. Look (on the web) for SDL DrawPixel/ReadPixel (maybe put/getpixel).
Then you have the exact possibilites for your creativity as with mode 0x13, but of course on Windows, with all sorts of graphics modes supported. It really can't become easier than with SDL.
Thats the way I am gonna write a Raycaster now (inspired by the raycaster thread).

Yea that's a good idea too, hope you have VC++.

Hey,tengfeigoon, let us know what you have on your hands like compilers and maybe the non-graphical projects you have attempted.

Think you should know,I knew a bit of the windows API before I got into game programming, but everything what I did when I started game programming was in Mode13h.The second in Win API and the 3rd in OpenGL ;).
You can find my games >>>>>here<<<<<

Good of you to point it out Konfusius.(rates '/|\')

[Edited by - FireNet on September 30, 2004 1:51:50 PM]
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
[AirBash.com]
Quote:Original post by FireNet
Good of you to point it out Konfusius.(rates '/|\')

YAY!
Nice games, btw [smile]

Thermo
A third and nonportable way to go is to use win32 and GDI which is alot less complex compared to opengl and directx like done in "beginning game programming" by mike morrison
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I am glad to get some answers from you .
I know nothing about Mode13h and know a bit API .opengl and direct.
Are there some better tutorials about making simple game like Super Mario Brothers.perhaps use API but not Mode13h.
Please give me some sites
I use vc++.
Quote:Original post by tengfeigoon
Are there some better tutorials about making simple game like Super Mario Brothers.perhaps use API but not Mode13h.

The problem is, that there are just too many ways to actually put a game together. Most tutorials will therefore only focus on the different aspects of it. Such as how maps can be built and displayed. How sound effects work and so on. For a complex game like SMB you won't find any complete tutorial that just tells you all the steps to take.

Just don't think that SMB is a simple game just because it's rather old and there are many clones. If it really was such a simple thing to do, anyone could do it [wink].

Seriously, even Pong is hard enough for a beginner so I'd suggest starting with that. Pong will teach you all the basics you need for a platformer/ jump 'n run like Super Mario Brothers™:

• Simple graphics

• Handling user input

• Basic gameplay (this includes scoring points)

• Rudimentary physics (e.g. collision response)

A nice Pong with all the goodies (sound effects and music, game menu, hi-scores, multi-player, different user-adjustable graphic sets, multiple AI levels, ...) can be more challenging and rewarding than you might think, while being simple enough to not get you frustrated too soon.

You will get much out of such very simple game that gets you ready for your SMB-like game without needing a complete tutorial (which you might not even find).

Best of luck and happy game coding!
Pat.
i released a simple example of a Super Mario Bros. type game just for this reason.
here's the thread

it's Win32 and GDI.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement