Sign in to follow this  
dawidjoubert

DLL Intergratoin

"As for the editor, if your intent on making one yourself, use a more GUI oriented language such as visual C# (M$ assumption). Or just make your editor in the form of a dll that uses your engine to do graphics. That way your engine is seperate of your editor, but they can still interact." That was a quote , can sum1 tell me how can i create dll's and how do they work. Currently my entire programs are like 20c++ files and compiling takes a bitch of a time! dj

The first thing you need to do is to create an interface between your main exe and your renderer(s). This will take most of your time, it took me about 3 days this summer to rewrite all of my code into an efficient dll plugin based system.

There is a tutorial on DLLs in the "Articles" section you might want to take a look at, flipcode also has an article I believe.

I think this is the tutorial on Flipcode that you are refering to:
http://www.flipcode.com/articles/article_winplugins.shtml

If all you're interested in is saving compile time I would break things up into static libraries instead of dlls. They are much easier to create and work with that dlls.

If your using Visual Studio just create a new static library project and move the source files you want to over to that project and compile. Then you can just use the .lib file like you would for any other library.

There is an article here that will give you some tips.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1583.asp