• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
qwert

Grub on a floppy

This topic is 5035 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have made a grub boot floppy to test my new kernel. Every time I start Linux i have to write: >root (hd0,5) >kernel /boot/vmlinuz >boot Is it possible to automate this? I know that there is suppose to be a grub.conf file somewhere but I don't know where to put it or how to configure grub to use it.

Advertisement
grub.conf is located in /boot/grub/grub.conf . You can easily edit it, I'll give you one item of my grub.conf as an example:

timeout=5
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
boot=(hd0)
default=0
title Gentoo 2.6.8 Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-gentoo-r3 ro root=/dev/hdb1

Just adjust this to whatever you want.

I did not have any grub.conf file before. So I created one in /boot/grub/ but when I rebooted I got the same console and had to type everything again.

I use slackware 10 and that dist comes with lilo instead of grub so I had to download it from the slackware-current packages.

Actually it's not /boot/grub/grub.conf but /boot/grub/menu.lst
Many distros create a symbolic link named grub.conf because the name makes more sense but the actual config file is menu.lst

Quote:
Original post by SwSh
Actually it's not /boot/grub/grub.conf but /boot/grub/menu.lst
Many distros create a symbolic link named grub.conf because the name makes more sense but the actual config file is menu.lst

This might be true, well I didn't know about it. However, it doesn't matter now as qwert hasn't got grub installed yet. In spite of grub.conf being a symbolic link to menu.lst, I'd recommend editing the grub.conf.

YES! I got it working.

I didn't realize that I had to do it manually:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.en.html#q4

I thought I could use grub-install.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!