[java] Java 1.5 released

Started by
14 comments, last by Matei 19 years, 6 months ago
Java 1.5 was released today with support for generics and numerous other improvements that people might like to know about.
Advertisement
You mean 5.0, right [wink] Anyway, cheers for that, downloading now...
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Sweet! It was only yesterday that I checked to see if final version had been release yet. Does eclipse have support for the new features yet?
Unfortunately eclipse doesn't support the new features yet, except generics and the new for loop with beta plugin (called cheetah). And the for loop implementation seems to be somewhat buggy.
I'm sure that Eclipse will be updated to reflect the changes shortly. That's one of the beauties of open source projects.

Does anyone actually know why they are calling it "externally" 5.0? I haven't really looked into it, so if it's painfully obvious (read: I could simply Google it if I were so inclined), I apoligize, and you can proceed to smack me around.
Dunno.. my guess is just to brand it as a more significant release. When they released version 1.2 (which added quite a lot of stuff), they called it Java 2.
Quote:Original post by Strife
Does anyone actually know why they are calling it "externally" 5.0?

Quote:This official soundbite says
Given its rich history, changing the version of the next release from 1.5 to 5.0 better reflects the level of maturity, stability, scalability and security built into J2SE.

As for why they decided to go with such a dramatic incrementation, I suspect its because of the fifth anniversary of Java2, more than anything else... That and its looks better as a branding gimmick (which has to be the single element of Java that I don't like)...

EDIT: And just in case you weren't confused enough...
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
they have been doing strange things for a while now ...

Java 1.0 was Java 1,

Java 1.1 was Java 1.1 (aka still called Java 1)

Java 1.2 was Java 2

Java 1.3 was Java 2 ???

Java 1.4 was Java 2 ???

Java 1.5 is Java 2, version 5.0 ???
Quote:Original post by Xai
they have been doing strange things for a while now ...

Java 1.0 was Java 1,

Java 1.1 was Java 1.1 (aka still called Java 1)

Java 1.2 was Java 2

Java 1.3 was Java 2 ???

Java 1.4 was Java 2 ???

Java 1.5 is Java 2, version 5.0 ???

You've gotta love the Sun marketing department.
Erasure is the devil.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement