What would entice you to follow a game across generes?

Started by
15 comments, last by ToppDog 19 years, 6 months ago
We all know that some games not only do a suberb job a creating fantastic gameplay but they also make interesting game worlds. So I found myself thinking the game I'm working on now(cappella Corporation) has a lot of interesting features and what I think is an interesting game world that has alot of potential for other kinds of games. Now the game itself if a stategy game where you are part of powerful corporation that does some very nasting things. You fact are in charge of the bioweapons division and handle the development, creation and deployment of creatures known as BioMutants, among other things. The game takes place enterily at the strategic corporate level with some tactical operations controlled at the operations level. Now I was thinking that it would interesting that if this game is moderetly popular to create a mercanery style tactical game as a follow up to it. The follow up game would take place in the same world but would offer the player a drastically diffrent view of it and gameplay experince. So my questions are this: 1) What would encourage you to follow a game from one genere to another? 2) What aspects would you demand be in both? (ie, important figures, locations, technology) 3) What aspects would you want to be in both? 4) What aspects would you not want to be in both? 5) Would you like to be able incorpate events and decisions you made in the orginal game into the follow up?
Advertisement
Sounds like a pretty cool game!

I think it'd be tough, though, to make the transition from one genre to another within the game universe. Blizzard is currently doing their best with a couple of projects (WoW, Starcraft: Ghost) and, frankly, while the games have their merits, I don't plan on getting either of them. I liked Starcraft because it was a fun RTS with a wonderfully dark, brooding atmosphere, but apart from the fanboy factor of 'omg I can walk around the siege tank and sneak up on that zealot' Ghost doesn't look like the kind of game I'd enjoy.

..tell us more about these biomutants? :)
Interesting question. I would probably only follow a game across genres if they were genres that I usually play: RPG, Adventure Game, MMORPG, Puzzle Game, Sim, or Platformer. I think an RPG would convert really well into a platformer, you could re-use all the monsters and do a simplified parody of the plot, that could be really funny. For you, I think strategy to RPG/RTS would be easiest, you just move the story focus from the company level to the personal level, and you can take people's favorite characters from the first game and flesh them out more. Strategy games sometimes convert well into sims if their worldbuilding is strong enough to support the additional level of detail. Adventure games would probably do quite well with puzzle game expansions - I bet the Myst guys would have made even more money if they had released a puzzle game while people were waiting for Riven or Exiles.

But, I think that if you're going to do either a equal in the same genre or one in a different genre, you're probably best off sticking with the same genre because you'll already have something of a fan-base and you can re-use the most code and use wht you learned from the problems you had making the first game to make the second one more quickly or better.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Okay, first thing's first... just to get it out of my system, then I'll be constructive, I swear...

Cappella Corporation making Mutant bioweapons, among other things...
Umbrella Corporation making Zombie bioweapons, among other things...

Tell me I'm not the only one who sees this... please...

Anyway, aside from some originality issues, I do think your idea has merit. The fact that it's a strategy game makes it totally different, I'm sure that within the game you make things as new and innovative as possible. Just watch those names ;)

And to those who poo-poo on the genre change issues, it happens all the freakin time! And well. Although not so much a recently popular character, Mario does (or did) extremely well covering a huge varieties of genres. He jumps Platforms, he Role Plays, he hosts Parties, he Golfs, he plays Tennis, he Races, he even Tournament Fights. It happens so much more too. RTS becomes MMORPGs, Fighting games to Puzzlers.

So to answer your questions:

1) If both genres were ones I liked, I would probably especially go for you other one to see something familiar and (presumably) something I've enjoyed playing efore. It would be a good change of pace.

2) I would think that the technology would have to be the same, the story, obviously, the main conflicts in the game, the location is pretty important too. Things that will help the player recognize the previous game.

3) I personally would want the same characters, but that's not a must. If it happens like the next generation or whatever, you probably couldn't use the same people.

4) I would not want to see the same viewpoint and character development done in both. If one game explores the way in which this Cappella Corporation is doing evil, the other should incorporate how this mercenary is going to do good. I wouldnt just want a remake of the game with the same ideals.

5) For story, yes, for gameplay no. I don't know to what extent you would like to do this, but unless it was like an expansion (which, for the record, I don't think would work when chagning genres) you wouldn't be able to carry over certain things to change how your game will be played. By the story I mean yes, if by the end of the first game you make a significant difference to the world around, then by all means make that something that affects the follow up game.

Anyhoo, that's my $0.02 (and just a little bit more).
As ever,
*** Cosmic ***
I first experienced the world of real-time strategy games with Warcraft 2. Ever since, I have been a big fan of the Warcraft Universe, although I am not a very big fan of the RTS genre. The Warcraft/Starcraft titles are the only RTSs that I play and World of Warcraft will be my first MMORPG.

What makes me play Warcraft, even though I don't particularly enojoy the gameplay of a typical RTS? What makes me want to play WoW while I ignore every other MMO title on the market? The Warcraft Universe. I'm not much of a sucker for brands, but there is an appeal about Warcraft that so few gaming "universes" attempt to explore.

Blizzard is a company that cares about their universe and cares about each and every one of the characters (good or evil) that has been put into their games--and for the people who appreciate the work that it requires, the Warcraft universe is the gaming industries "Star Wars" (or if you prefer, Star Trek). The only difference is, Warcraft is good. ;)
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.
Nothing. I don't particularly care about genres or properties. Just give me a good game.
Money. Big breasts. Starvation.

Oh wait, you said genres. I thought you meant continents. Just when I was about to take my spear out of that watermelon I felled in Africa... serious answers maybe later.

Well ok, a few moments later I'm a little more alert and capable of hitting the Edit button. Crossing genres is going to depend on how well you personally execute various genres, as well as the talent of other people you work with.

Within the 4X TBS genre, I'd say, I'd like people to be able to finish their games in 5 hours. This 8..16..24 hours stuff is low quality time, deadly boring. Compress it down to something more essential. I can't even remember if you said you cared about this genre. If you do, that's just my sweeping opinion of what needs to be done within it. Applicable to any title.
Cheers, Brandon J. Van Every(cruise (director (of SeaFunc) '(Seattle Functional Programmers)))
If you have a strong, well fleshed out game universe, then I think this is a really good idea. Personally, I'm unlikely to bother playing a genre that I'm not interested in, although that doesn't really narrow it down all that much anyway. Besides that, I don't think there are any real requirements beyond:

a) the games being good and
b) the game universe being interesting/appealing.
Fractioid:

Hmm, I can see your point but on the other hand perhaps Ghost doesn't appeal to people because that starcraft doesn't leave much to be adapted on since it there is nothing really abstracted or glazed over that fans would like to see elborated on.

Cosmic One:

I may have had some inspiration for the orginal idea from a certain series of games that where made into motion pictures, I'll admit that. But the game I'm working on is very diffrent then those games for one thing you get to play the evil corporation instead of surving their mistakes. Altough to be fair I also have zombies in my game.

As for your comment on question 5, Some story elements would carry over but the follow game story would on only one part of the strategy games story. As for gameplay elements there are lots of things that could carry over, such as the BioMutants the player developed would begin appearing at around the same time as the player stated deploying them. Also in the follow up would be able to raid the vary facilities you designed and defended in the original.

Well the common opinion seems to be that you would follow a game across genres, but only if it was into a genre you where already interested in, which is fair enough. I would also assume the effect runs both ways if you enjoyed the follow up you may consider buying the original.
I look forward to Ghost because I will be able to see Starcraft's world in a new perspective--ground level. The style itself is not something that I am as interested in (stealth-action) seeing as games like Splinter Cell do a horrible job of creating a convincing stealth-based world, but the Starcraft universe is well-liked and I can't wait to experience it in a new perspective.

I am also looking forward to an un-announced title from Blizzard that their "Team One" is working on. It was mentioned in the book Game Design Workshop and Team One is the team responsible for Warcraft 3, so I would not be surprised to hear something about a new RTS Starcraft at next year's E3.
______________________________________________The title of "Maxis Game Designer" is an oxymoron.Electronic Arts: High Production Values, Low Content Values.EA makes high-definition crap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement