Software vertex processing - application crashes

Started by
4 comments, last by Arcibald Wearlot 19 years, 6 months ago
If I create the device using D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING and then I try to render something with my engine, Windows goes nuts: it displays the blue screen of death (in WinXP!), says that a terrible error happened and the like, dumps memory to the hard drive and then resets. Everything is fine with hardware VP instead. I'm just too scared to go and debug this, so could you give me an hint on what could be causing this behavior?
Advertisement
Is it just your system or does it do the same on others too? Why don't you post a compiled version... I'm sure there are some here who are brave enough to test it out [lol].

I would guess it would be something with your drivers, but if it does the same thing on everyone's system, then you've probably got a bigger problem!
Check your arguments to DrawIndexedPrimitive(). The two variables that indicate which part of the VB needs transforming are ignored on certain cards (nVidia), while software will need these to be accurate.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's my app's fault, because other applications run fine with software vp.
I hadn't used software vp in my engine for months, but now I decided to test it and my pc nearly exploded :P (it worked a lot of time ago, by the way)
There must be something I'm forgetting to do.. But I have no idea what it is.. but I'm not going to touch it until I know what it is.. i really got scared lol, after the crash windows wasn't even acting properly, i had to reset again because explorer was eating cpu doing nothing and wasn't stopping.

Namethatnobodyelsetook: thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to check if I'm passing the right stuff to the function.
pfft... I'm used to system crashes. In fact, I live for them [lol]

So if you want, I'll try it out on my system. PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to, if you're interested! Just glad to help out a little! [smile]
cool, i solved it, this saved your pc mushu :D

it was DrawIndexedPrimitive(). the NumVertices parameter was wrong: i was passing the _number_ of vertices used by the index buffer, while it is used to set the "range" of the vertices used by the IB - i had to set it to the _total_ vertex number.

Thanks for your help :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement