what's difference between a vertex and vector?

Started by
11 comments, last by bigyellowtoe 23 years, 6 months ago
Lame question I guess, but if someone can make the distinction for me I''d be happy again thanks
*.chm
Advertisement
I believe vertex is the origin of a function such as
when you graph y=x^2 the vertex would be (0,0). And a vector is something that has a magnitude and a direction.
I could be wrong but that is what I think.
Isn''t a vertex the point where two lines meet or intersect?
to combine the already correct previous posts:
a "vertex" is what is commonly known as a point in space, though that is not the technical defn, i don''t think.
and a "vector" has magnitude and direction.

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know i am
A vertex is just a point in space, (10, 3, -42) for example. A vector on the other hand has direction and length. So if we have (10, 3, -42) and treat it as a vector it has a direction, it points to the right, up and into the screen(in OpenGL's coordinate system). That vector also has a length of 43.278170 which tells you how long the vector is. When you normalize a vector you will get a unit vector, a vector whose length is 1. Hope this helps.

Nate Miller
http://nate.scuzzy.net

Edited by - Nate on October 4, 2000 3:36:19 PM
A vertex is the point where two line meet, yes, and a vector is similar to a ray, with origin, direction, and magnitude.

-------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
so you define them as the following?

the_vertex[2] floatx,floaty,floatz
the_vector vertex[0],vertex[1]

is this correct, i''m still confusing myself sorry.
*.chm
A vertex and a vector can use the same structure(float x, float y, float z). The distinction between vertex and vector depends on how you use the structure.

Nate Miller
http://nate.scuzzy.net
A vertex is a point. Just a point nothing else.
Whereas a vector has a direction and length.
Think of a vector as a force.

But most of the time you can interchange the two and get the same results. But keeping them separated when thinking about them helps keep you sane

So when coding/implementing use tons of typedefs and don''t recycle your structures...
ie typedef point vector
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
ah smiling again, got it thanks.

. vertex

.----------> vector
*.chm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement