Sign in to follow this  

C++ Problem, Finally!!

This topic is 4823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello there, I have a problem with a small program that I am writing. When I #include <iostream> I get hundreds of errors that look a bit like these: Compiling... IntVec.cpp c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xiosbase(106) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'precision' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xiosbase(106) : error C2501: 'streamsize' : missing storage-class or type specifiers c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xiosbase(107) : warning C4183: 'precision': member function definition looks like a ctor, but name does not match enclosing class c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xiosbase(108) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'precision' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xiosbase(108) : error C2501: 'streamsize' : missing storage-class or type specifiers Does anybody have any idea what this might be? It seems like the kind of thing that is a simple mistake but I can't work out what it is? Thanks in advance. Mark Coleman

Oh man you have my condolences for your inability to post. Maybe you should try to get that problem fixed before bothering with your C++ :)

You spoke to a staff member about it?

Man!! Every time I try to post any large amount of code I get Internal Server Error 500, Bollocks!!

Basically I have a simple app which works fine but as soon as I try to #include <iostream> I get loads of errors??

I can't post the code because it keeps crashing but there are only two files.

The top of the IntVec.cpp file looks like this:

#include <iostream>
#include "IntVec.h"

and the top of the IntVec.h file looks like this:

using namespace std;
#include <iostream>

If I remove the iostream and namespace lines to program works fine, but I need to use the iostream functions.

Any ideas?

Mark Coleman

Never put a "using namespace std" directive in a header file. Instead of istream, use std::istream etc.

If the header file already #includes iostream, there is no need to do it in the cpp file, because it propagates.

try to compile #include <iostream> without the small program
the errors can be in your small program and not the iostream, so if you still have these errors
then you have a faked iostream..
if they gone, then check out all your ; and }.
i had an error like this in past, i think these errors exists because missing or too many ; / }.

maybe you have to put using namespace std; after #include <iostream> in the header file
and in the other file just include the header file, without iostream

Don't put "using" in a header file at all, just use "std::istream" as is. You're unlikely to need it very often anyway.

Also, the most common place for a missing semi-colon is at the end of a class declaration:

class MyClass
{
}; //semi-colon here!

VC also complains about semicolons when it misses a definition for a type:

class MyClass
{};

MyClassWithATypo variable; // <- syntax error missing ; before 'variable'

Quote:
Original post by mrmrcoleman
and then using std::istream; in the h file??

not using.

#include <iostream>
//qualify it with std::
void someFunc(std::iostream& is);

putting

using namespace name;

brings all the names of functions, variables, classes etc into scope. So they could collide with some other functions, variables and classes of the same name.

putting

using name::whatever;

brings just 'whatever' from namespace 'name' into scope. So it is more restricted than putting using namespace name.

qualifying explictly

name::whatever

means nothing is brought into scope and you won't get name collisions.

You want to not have collisions, so don't put using in headers, use the explicit qualification.

There is one exception: if a derived class hides functions in the base class by overloading them, or if they are privately inherited, you can make them available by using using.

Quote:
Original post by ALH
What about remove 'using namespace std;' and replace '#include <iostream>' with '#include <iostream.h>'?

Cheers,
ALH

No! Bad ALH! Go to your room.

This kind of thing has happened to me before when I was missing a semicolon somewhere else in my code, and the compiler happened to look at it just before it plunged into the iostream head file.

Make sure all your class and structure declarations have a semicolon following them. Check every line of code if your program is not tremendously large.

The <iostream.h> header, along with lots of other headers ending in .h have been deprecated. You should be including the header files that do not have a .h at the end of them when possible. The exception to this is OS-specific header files such as <windows.h>

Ok this must be wrong. Even when I just include iostream in the header file with no other code in the whole project I still get all the errors.

Does this mean that my iostream file is broken? I can't believe that it is so difficult to get a standard library to work!! Surely I can't have an error in my iostream? I doubt that I would have opened it up and changed anything...

Could somebody send me a 'working' version on iostream.h so that I can rule out this possibility.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Coleman

[Edited by - mrmrcoleman on October 1, 2004 4:39:18 AM]

Does look like your include files are borked.
Taking a look at XIOSBASE on line 106, it doesn't seem to recognise "streamsize" as a typedef. "streamsize" is typedeffed "int" in IOSFWD. Try copying that file from your MSVC CD to the appropriate include directory. For that matter, try simply reinstalling MSVC.

Quote:
Original post by Aprosenf
The <iostream.h> header, along with lots of other headers ending in .h have been deprecated.

Actually they can't be deprecated because they were never standard in the first place.

Quote:
You should be including the header files that do not have a .h at the end of them when possible. The exception to this is OS-specific header files such as <windows.h>

It's not an exception. Whatever the people supplying headers choose to use as an extension, you have to use. So some libraries will have .h, others .hpp, others .hxx, etc.

The C++ standard headers don't have an extension. They acknowledge the possibility that the header doesn't necessarily exist in a file.

This topic is 4823 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.