Sign in to follow this  
guyaton

Car turning

I'm working on a racing game. For now...physics doesn't really exist :) anywho... how to I calculate the coordinates the car is turning? For specs on the car, I have its maximum turning Radius (28 degrees), and at this degree the smallest turn possible is 40.5ft. How do I simulate this for all angles? thanks!

I'm not sure I follow your statistics. You've specified turning *radius* as 28 *degrees*. That doesn't jive. Radius is a distance, but degrees measure an angle. Also, since a car can generally follow a straight line, which is no turn at all, the maximum turning radius is in fact infinitely large!

So, did you mean to say 28 *feet* is the *minimum* turning radius?

Further, what is meant by smallest turn possible? Do you mean the translational distance travelled while the car moves in the turn? If so, then 40.5 feet does not correspond to a 28 foot radius---assuming you are talking about a 90 degree turn. If you're talking about a 90 degree turn and a 28 foot turning radius, the car would travel 43.98 feet = (PI/2) * 28.

Basically....we might better answer your question if you clarify your input!

You need the wheelbase, i.e. distance between the tires. If wb is the wheelbase, ta is the angle the tire is turned at and r is the turning radius then r=wb/(2*cos(90-ta/2)).