Sign in to follow this  
digitalfreak

a thought for overcoming LCD's drawback

unlike CRT monitors whoes pixels can be selectively lit or blackened when displaying an image, LCD can only light all the pixels it has. this results in artifacts when we use FULLSCREEN to display a lower resolution picture (say 1024*768) on an LCD with higher resolution (say standard 17" LCD with 1280*1024 res). the reason is that the pixels on the images don't correspond to the pixels on the screen with an exact 1 to 1 match:the LCD uses more than one pixel to display one pixel of the image, which is a kind of over-sampling. on CRT, we can easily solve this problem by turning down the monitor's resolution from 1280*1024 to 1024*768, and then the picture will look clear and neat--the way it means to be displayed. but on LCD doing this is useless: it doesn't decrease the number of lit pixels down to 1024*768, but remains at 1280*1024. this cause very ugly pictures when playing games with many pre-rendered, fixed resolution images (like myst and syberia, both have a maximum res of 1024*768, which makes playing them on 17" LCD very unappealing). so do you think it's possible to make a utility that can "turning off" those unwanted pixels on LCD by filling their colors as solid black?

no that would not work whatsoever, it has been tried with bad results.

Also the key fact you are missing out on is that a CRT does not have "pixels" as an LCD does.

Quote:
Original post by Integra
no that would not work whatsoever, it has been tried with bad results.

Also the key fact you are missing out on is that a CRT does not have "pixels" as an LCD does.

yeah I know what you mean. inside CRT it's all analog and continuous.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by digitalfreak
unlike CRT monitors whoes pixels can be selectively lit or blackened when displaying an image, LCD can only light all the pixels it has. this results in artifacts when we use FULLSCREEN to display a lower resolution picture (say 1024*768) on an LCD with higher resolution (say standard 17" LCD with 1280*1024 res). the reason is that the pixels on the images don't correspond to the pixels on the screen with an exact 1 to 1 match:the LCD uses more than one pixel to display one pixel of the image, which is a kind of over-sampling. on CRT, we can easily solve this problem by turning down the monitor's resolution from 1280*1024 to 1024*768, and then the picture will look clear and neat--the way it means to be displayed. but on LCD doing this is useless: it doesn't decrease the number of lit pixels down to 1024*768, but remains at 1280*1024. this cause very ugly pictures when playing games with many pre-rendered, fixed resolution images (like myst and syberia, both have a maximum res of 1024*768, which makes playing them on 17" LCD very unappealing).

so do you think it's possible to make a utility that can "turning off" those unwanted pixels on LCD by filling their colors as solid black?

already exists ... its in the hardware of the video cards and monitor. My laptop is wide screen (1920x1200). However if I boot up with 1600x1200 the screen is not streched but remains 1600x1200 and is centered. The sides are 'black'

On my laptop there's an option in the bios and in the video card settings (radeon 9000 mobility with omega drivers) to turn off scaling. It never looked that bad scaled to me, although I have a 15.4" WSXGA+ (1650x1080) so my pixels are pretty small. Things did get noticeably fat from the wide screen with scaling on though.

Some cheap LCD use point sampling to resize non native resolutions wich looks really bad. One alternative on those screens would be to center the picture in the native resolution as said earlier. This option is often found in laptops but I never saw it on a desktop so far. However it shouldn't be too hard to make an utility to handle that...

On my Toshiba laptop I could select via the Detonator if the resizing was to be done by the LCD, the card or if no resize should be done.