#pragma once and #ifndef BLAHBLAHBLAH_H

Started by
3 comments, last by jflanglois 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi, This is something that has been bothering me for a while now. When writing header files, I always put #pragma once at the begining (or, if I am compiling to *nix, #ifndef HEADER_H...). I understand what this is used for but my question is: why is this not default behavior in C++? Or, put a different way, in which cases is it useful to not #pragma once a header? Would it not be better to have a "#pragma always" or similar that would explicitly tell the compiler that it can compile the header multiple times? Thanks in advance, jflanglois
Advertisement
For example, if your header contains compile time flags (like DEBUG or something), you can set the approbiate flags before #include'ing and you can get different inclusions in multiple places, which wouldn't be possible if it could be included only once.
Most often used by library vendors, but I often use it for debuggin purposes.

Thermo
Quote:Original post by jflanglois
Hi,

This is something that has been bothering me for a while now. When writing header files, I always put #pragma once at the begining (or, if I am compiling to *nix, #ifndef HEADER_H...). I understand what this is used for but my question is: why is this not default behavior in C++? Or, put a different way, in which cases is it useful to not #pragma once a header? Would it not be better to have a "#pragma always" or similar that would explicitly tell the compiler that it can compile the header multiple times?

Thanks in advance,
jflanglois

The primary reason for this, which is subtle, is that the concept of multiple files in a C++ translation unit is somewhat artificial through the preproccessor. By that I mean, once a file is #include'd, you can look at it as a copy-paste of all of the data in the file (unless preprocessor commands such as #ifdef or #ifndef tell it otherwise). Once the file is included, it is just a part of the overall translation unit -- there is no concept of separate files as each file is just one part of a big block of code at that point. Having a #pragma once functionality be standard, let alone default behaviour, would therefore imply that the concept of #include'ing files would have to be slightly redefined.
Quote:Original post by Konfusius
For example, if your header contains compile time flags (like DEBUG or something), you can set the approbiate flags before #include'ing and you can get different inclusions in multiple places, which wouldn't be possible if it could be included only once.
Most often used by library vendors, but I often use it for debuggin purposes.

Reminds me... I only have a copy of the C99 draft, but I've heard the following is also true in the official C89 and C99 standards. assert.h is supposed to redefine the assert macro each time it's included. Is this different in C++? The pedant in me was rather upset when I saw:
#ifndef _ASSERT_H_#define	_ASSERT_H_/* ...defining assert()... */#endif /* Not _ASSERT_H_ */

in mingw's assert.h :/

Anyway, point is, assert.h is supposed to be an example of what you might do in a header without some sort of include guard.

EDIT: Also, Objective-C has a #import preprocessor directive that is supposed to not include a file more than once, but I don't think my version of mingw does that properly either.
Konfusious:
Heh, hadn't thought of that (obviously).

Polymorphic OOP:
OK, that is a good reason why one must do #pragma once. Now, what would be the reason for which the preprocessor was designed in such a way?

All:
Does what Way Walker said apply to C++? That is, does #import "#include" the file only once (not that it would help my cause much, I'm just curious)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement