Sign in to follow this  
golgoth

OpenGL OpenGl lib!

golgoth    100
Yes I try everything so far... but no link can get me to the Oficial Latest Opengl lib... I m using 1.2.1 now but some gl function r undeclare such as glActiveTextureARB... (I ve seen some topic on 1.3... specifaication on 1.5 and 2.0... what s going on?? anyone can tell me whats is the latest lib and where I can find it... so far I m going on a clicking frenzy on opengl.org... Help please! Thx

mikeman    2942
Functions like that are not part of the GL core right now, and they are accessed through the extension mechanism. Current extensions are listed here, where also you can get the include files(glext.h) which defines the prototypes.

However, glext.h defines only the prototypes.You must get the address of the functions using wglGetProcAdress.Like that:

#include "glext.h"
PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;//function pointer

//We must have a valid GL context before we can make this call:
glActiveTextureARB=(PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC)wglGetProcAddress("glActiveTextureARB");

Or you can use Glee that does that work for you. I haven't try it yet, but many people recommended it.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I dont really know why (AFAIK something related with microsoft not updateing OGL drivers for win to a version bigger than 1.2 or something) but when you program under windows, you dont have those functions just by linking to ogl.lib, you need to get their adress manually like so:

PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;

glActiveTextureARB = (PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glActiveTextureARB");

Then you can call glActiveTextureARB() like a normal function.

golgoth    100
marvellous!!! thx it ok for the extensions!!

but still... just for the record... where do you guys download the latest opengl lib? and what the official latest release?

THX again!

mikeman    2942
There is no "latest official lib". I'm not really sure about Linux, but in Windows the core is stuck in the 1.1 specification(I think). That's why we use the extensions.

Recently, the GL spec 2.0 was out, which moves most of the extensions into the core, but I don't know if Microsoft is going to do anything about it. I think we still have to do it through the extension mechanism.

It's no big deal, though. Just update your video card drivers to support the most recent extensions, and you're fine.

Btw, all the infos I gave you(and many more) could be found in the forum FAQ, and it was mentioned by benjamin bunny in your other thread.

_the_phantom_    11250
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Recently, the GL spec 2.0 was out, which moves most of the extensions into the core, but I don't know if Microsoft is going to do anything about it. I think we still have to do it through the extension mechanism.

MS will update to 1.2 when Longhorn comes out.
thats it.
it will be bussiness as normal for windows OGL programmers, all core 2.0 stuff will be accessed via extensions.

mikeman    2942
Quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
Quote:
Original post by mikeman

MS will update to 1.2 when Longhorn comes out.
thats it.
it will be bussiness as normal for windows OGL programmers, all core 2.0 stuff will be accessed via extensions.

Damn!
There is one thing I don't understand,though. Ok, we will use vertex shaders for example through extensions. But the card drivers will follow the 2.0 specs, right? Does that mean that we will get vertex shaders in software, if there is no hw support for that extension?

Schmedly    366
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Damn!
There is one thing I don't understand,though. Ok, we will use vertex shaders for example through extensions. But the card drivers will follow the 2.0 specs, right? Does that mean that we will get vertex shaders in software, if there is no hw support for that extension?

When something is promoted to the core it is no longer an extension. So when you have 2.0 compliant drivers, you won't have to access shaders via extensions... for GLSL at least. That means if the driver claims to be 2.0 capable, it has to support everything in the spec, whether it be in hardware or software.

Basiror    241
one should report this to some big media companies

microsoft ignores a graphic standard

some bad publicity might bringt the topic of splitting microsoft into pieces due to is monopol like position on the market

blocking the development of opengl which in my eyes is more innovative than directShit could be seen as another act of strengthen the monopolian position

no games on opengl -> no chance for linux to get a hold on the market for games

opengl+fmod+sdl == cross platform alternative to directshit

ie and directshit have been invented to get rid of linux

mikeman    2942
Quote:
Original post by Schmedly
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Damn!

When something is promoted to the core it is no longer an extension. So when you have 2.0 compliant drivers, you won't have to access shaders via extensions... for GLSL at least. That means if the driver claims to be 2.0 capable, it has to support everything in the spec, whether it be in hardware or software.

It is promoted to the core, but if Microsoft updates just to 1.2, like the_phantom said, what can you do? We will still need extensions.

_the_phantom_    11250
Quote:
Original post by Schmedly
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Damn!

You have to access them AS IF they WERE still extensions because there will be no bindings for them in the lib/dll for windows.

@Basiror:
MS arent blocking the developement thats the thing (well, at least not any more, take what you will from MS leaving the ARB and the ARB processes speeding up...)
You can still access all the latest functions and such, they just dont provide a lib todo it.
DirectX was invented a good few years before Linux even become remotely viable as a game platform (DX5 appeared around 1996) so no, it wasnt invented to 'get rid of linux', it was invented to give a stable set of APIs for games programmers to us to interface with hardware, before then it was the DOS method and write a driver per gfx card or sound card.
You might not like FX however it HAS done its job well and even D3D is needed as it currently the driving force behind graphic card standards, OpenGL as much as I like it isnt in the position to take over the job and wasnt in the position before hand.

zedzeek    528
i believ on nvidia cards at least vertexshaders are done in software if theyre not available in hardware. (dont quote me on this though)

also ms updating opengl32.dll is a non issue, just access the function pointers to the new extensions yourself, better yet use a library like glew.

>>but no link can get me to the Oficial Latest Opengl lib... I m using 1.2.1 now b<<

sounds like your drivers are very old, eg my nvidia ones are opengl 1.5 (1.5.2).
just checked some cards (in case u have a lesser used card) at delphi3d and most seem to have later than opengl1.2
eg intel 1.4, matrox 1.3,

Schmedly    366
Quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
You have to access them AS IF they WERE still extensions because there will be no bindings for them in the lib/dll for windows.

I'll choose better wording next time. My point being that the support will be there regardless of whether it's software or hardware.

benjamin bunny    838
Quote:
Original post by Enigma
<Off-Topic>
Benjamin Bunny: Just curious as to whether you ever tried the suggestions I made a while ago in this thread (was it really six months ago?!?!)?
</Off-Topic>

Not yet, but I'm planning on implementing lazy loading for the next major version though. So if you call a function, it'll initialize GLee if you haven't already done it, then it'll report an error if the function isn't available on your hardware. I'll probably wait until I can add full support for OpenGL 2.0 though, so that relies on SGI's glext.h being updated.

golgoth    100
why dont you just do it the first time?

well, GL extensions are a new concept for me today... I read it quick... I was looking for a lib ... my mistake... I ve learn a lot in this tread tho and I feel better now...

Im not alone...

THX Again!

Benjamin... you are da man!!!