OpenGl lib!

Started by
17 comments, last by golgoth 19 years, 6 months ago
Yes I try everything so far... but no link can get me to the Oficial Latest Opengl lib... I m using 1.2.1 now but some gl function r undeclare such as glActiveTextureARB... (I ve seen some topic on 1.3... specifaication on 1.5 and 2.0... what s going on?? anyone can tell me whats is the latest lib and where I can find it... so far I m going on a clicking frenzy on opengl.org... Help please! Thx
Advertisement
Functions like that are not part of the GL core right now, and they are accessed through the extension mechanism. Current extensions are listed here, where also you can get the include files(glext.h) which defines the prototypes.

However, glext.h defines only the prototypes.You must get the address of the functions using wglGetProcAdress.Like that:

...#include "glext.h"...PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;//function pointer...//We must have a valid GL context before we can make this call:glActiveTextureARB=(PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC)wglGetProcAddress("glActiveTextureARB");

Or you can use Glee that does that work for you. I haven't try it yet, but many people recommended it.
I dont really know why (AFAIK something related with microsoft not updateing OGL drivers for win to a version bigger than 1.2 or something) but when you program under windows, you dont have those functions just by linking to ogl.lib, you need to get their adress manually like so:

PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC glActiveTextureARB;

glActiveTextureARB = (PFNGLACTIVETEXTUREARBPROC) wglGetProcAddress("glActiveTextureARB");

Then you can call glActiveTextureARB() like a normal function.
marvellous!!! thx it ok for the extensions!!

but still... just for the record... where do you guys download the latest opengl lib? and what the official latest release?

THX again!
There is no "latest official lib". I'm not really sure about Linux, but in Windows the core is stuck in the 1.1 specification(I think). That's why we use the extensions.

Recently, the GL spec 2.0 was out, which moves most of the extensions into the core, but I don't know if Microsoft is going to do anything about it. I think we still have to do it through the extension mechanism.

It's no big deal, though. Just update your video card drivers to support the most recent extensions, and you're fine.

Btw, all the infos I gave you(and many more) could be found in the forum FAQ, and it was mentioned by benjamin bunny in your other thread.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
Recently, the GL spec 2.0 was out, which moves most of the extensions into the core, but I don't know if Microsoft is going to do anything about it. I think we still have to do it through the extension mechanism.

MS will update to 1.2 when Longhorn comes out.
thats it.
it will be bussiness as normal for windows OGL programmers, all core 2.0 stuff will be accessed via extensions.
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

MS will update to 1.2 when Longhorn comes out.
thats it.
it will be bussiness as normal for windows OGL programmers, all core 2.0 stuff will be accessed via extensions.

Damn!
There is one thing I don't understand,though. Ok, we will use vertex shaders for example through extensions. But the card drivers will follow the 2.0 specs, right? Does that mean that we will get vertex shaders in software, if there is no hw support for that extension?
Damn!
There is one thing I don't understand,though. Ok, we will use vertex shaders for example through extensions. But the card drivers will follow the 2.0 specs, right? Does that mean that we will get vertex shaders in software, if there is no hw support for that extension?

When something is promoted to the core it is no longer an extension. So when you have 2.0 compliant drivers, you won't have to access shaders via extensions... for GLSL at least. That means if the driver claims to be 2.0 capable, it has to support everything in the spec, whether it be in hardware or software.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
one should report this to some big media companies

microsoft ignores a graphic standard

some bad publicity might bringt the topic of splitting microsoft into pieces due to is monopol like position on the market

blocking the development of opengl which in my eyes is more innovative than directShit could be seen as another act of strengthen the monopolian position

no games on opengl -> no chance for linux to get a hold on the market for games

opengl+fmod+sdl == cross platform alternative to directshit

ie and directshit have been invented to get rid of linux
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Quote:Original post by Schmedly
Damn!

When something is promoted to the core it is no longer an extension. So when you have 2.0 compliant drivers, you won't have to access shaders via extensions... for GLSL at least. That means if the driver claims to be 2.0 capable, it has to support everything in the spec, whether it be in hardware or software.

It is promoted to the core, but if Microsoft updates just to 1.2, like the_phantom said, what can you do? We will still need extensions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement