Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

Correct way to do transparent water?

I have this code to try and do transparent water and getting the wrong effect? I am using a .tga water texture with alpha but not sure if water texture I am using is correctly setup for this...
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObject[WATER]);

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
	glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
	glBlendFunc(GL_ONE, GL_ONE);
	/*
	glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureObject[WATER_DETAIL]);
	glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_COMBINE_ARB);
	glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_RGB_SCALE_ARB, 2);
*/
	glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, 0.0f, 0.0f);
	/*glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, 0.0f, 0.0f);*/ glVertex3f(-size, waterHeight, -size);
	glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, 0.0f, 1.0f);
	/*glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, 0.0f, 1.0f);*/ glVertex3f(-size, waterHeight, (MAP_Z * SCALE_FACTOR) + size);
	glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, 1.0f, 1.0f);
	/*glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, 1.0f, 1.0f);*/ glVertex3f(size + (MAP_X * SCALE_FACTOR), waterHeight, (MAP_Z * SCALE_FACTOR) + size);
	glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB, 1.0f, 0.0f);
	/*glMultiTexCoord2f(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB, 1.0f, 0.0f);*/ glVertex3f(size + (MAP_X * SCALE_FACTOR), waterHeight, -size);
	glEnd();

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
	glDisable(GL_ALPHA);
	glDisable(GL_BLEND);

Maybe I am not even close to being right? Thanks for the help...

glEnable(GL_BLEND);
glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);

This is what I am using now. And still looks wrong. If the water is over my terrain its somewhat transparent but the water over nothing is black. The texture is of water, and I see none of that on my terrain...

Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

This is what I am using now. And still looks wrong. If the water is over my terrain its somewhat transparent but the water over nothing is black. The texture is of water, and I see none of that on my terrain...

as far as i know you only render transparent water if you have terrain underneath it otherwise disable alpha blending

and yes it is wrong maybe use another clearcolor

do you use a skybox or skydome?

Quote:
Original post by Basiror
Quote:
Original post by MARS_999
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

as far as i know you only render transparent water if you have terrain underneath it otherwise disable alpha blending

and yes it is wrong maybe use another clearcolor

do you use a skybox or skydome?

Hey Basiror, long time no see, anyway, I am using a skyplane. I am debating just using a vertex program and a fragment program to do the water with and use a bumpmap.... I would be interested in seeing any new screenshots of you terrain engine... since last time. I can send you mine if you would like...

Thanks

yes supply a screenshot of the problem, my guess is youre not disabling depthwrites when u draw the water surface