Warsong

Started by
30 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 19 years, 6 months ago
Something has been irking me lately. I saw alot of people complaining or downing on this guy. I read some of his posts, and yeah, they were pretty scatterbrained, he did put on a holier-than-though attitude, and he is very opininionated and strange. What I don't understand is why he has a zero rating? I went through many of the topics he posted. Some of them are very controversial yes, but I didn't see anything where he was doing anything but stating his opinion, or defending his views (albiet in a....ummm...different way). I didn't see anything that would constitute giving him a 0 rating. Nothing. Yet many people on this site must have, because his rating dropped from the inital 1000 to 0. I thought some of his topics, though stated poorly, made for good conversation, and thus are a good contribution to the site. I understand that his views run opposite most members of gamedev, but we shouldn't be giving a rating based on how much we value someones opinion, nor should we rate someone a zero because they are hard-headed, opinionated and have poor grammar. In closing, I think he might deserve a 2 or a 4 from most people, but a 0 should be reserved for trolls and people that post goatse links and such. I've seen Warsong act in no such manner. Anyways, my rating will probably suffer for even taking up for the guy, but I feel like he's picked on alot and misunderstood so I'd probably write some pretty angry posts if I were him, and I think most of you would too.
Advertisement
I did wonder about that 0 rating too. I even tried to read one of his posts to understand why (didn't work - i couldn't make it out). But I think its a point that in rating peeps based on political views we could end up with a biased lounge or no politics threads.

With no rightwingers left who could you flame :P

Jay
Quote:Original post by Jason Zelos
I did wonder about that 0 rating too. I even tried to read one of his posts to understand why (didn't work - i couldn't make it out). But I think its a point that in rating peeps based on political views we could end up with a biased lounge or no politics threads.

With no rightwingers left who could you flame :P

Jay

I can understand what he's trying to get across usually, though he doesn't state it in the most sophisticated manner, but there are a couple of threads where people are calling him an idiot and stupid and flaming him hard core. He wants to feel smart and convince other people he's smart (and I think he is probably smart, but inarticulate), and he tells people in a pretty civil manner that he is smart because he got max on an IQ test. I know that's a little out there, but he got flamed much more than he deserved and got rated to a zero. When I read it I felt like I was watching the jocks in high school pick on the nerd and the nerd was trying to act tough. I guess I've just always been the type to step in when I see something like that. At any rate, I really think he has some valid opinions, and if he could state them more plainly people would probably like him more. I can't in good conscience rate him to a 0 because he doesn't deserve it, so I've given him a +10 in protest :)

see here: (and yes I know he was kind of an ass, but he didn't deserve the whole site coming down on him like that)

Warsong
His attitude used to come off as strongly condescending and rather offensive. He seems to have lost that streak, and I've removed my negative rating...although I don't give him a + rate just yet.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by xg0blin
a 0 should be reserved for trolls and people that post goatse links
Actually, *banned* is reserved for those kinds of people. [grin]
Quote:Original post by Promit
His attitude used to come off as strongly condescending and rather offensive. He seems to have lost that streak, and I've removed my negative rating...although I don't give him a + rate just yet.

you can't remove it...yet. every rating currently has a value.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu

I'm still miffed about that, for the information of anyone who cares.
"Sir, it is pie." - Mark TwainThe ArchWizard's site.
Quote:Original post by Washu

You mean you can't rate someone up from the first rating you gave them?

Yes, Promit is right. The 0 rating is due to posts written long before ratings were ever implemented. People hold grudges. [smile] Also, for all you know, most people could have rated him "somewhat unhelpful" but that would still push him down to 0 if done by enough people.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Quote:Original post by xg0blin
You mean you can't rate someone up from the first rating you gave them?

No, what that means is that there is no +0 rating. There are two negative ratings and three positive ones.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement