Sign in to follow this  
Triopstor

What's the easiest Engine?

Triopstor    104
I'm wondering what kind of engine to program in to make a Detective Game. Have you heard of Irrlicht 0.7 ? And using Anim8or to help? How about BlitzBasic from http://blitzbasic.com What do you guys say?

soconne    105
I'd say if you have the money, buy blitzbasic since it has a lot better support and documentation than Irrlicht. I've used Irrlicht and it is easier to use than most engines, but I think blitz will give you better tools and editors to get you started.

unicoder    204
i have been programming in blitz basic and blitz 3d since they hit the road... and i say 100% go with blitz... darkbasic just didnt cut it for me.. but if you have ANY knowledge of basic at all you can create a fully functional game with blitz and be proud of yourself... your mom might even be proud of you too

Mr_Ridd    130
Hey

I'm using Irrlicht 0.7 at the moment and I must say that it is hot.

It depends what you're after. If you want to make a game without any coding then go for the tools. Bare in mind though that you will be limited. In your game you'll probably want to do something unique to set it aside for other games.

Irrlicht is the forth engine I'm trying and I'm sticking with it. For me the main problems with engines is how easy it is you use collision detection and animation.

I tried OGRE, it was good. The animation was good, but I could never get the collision to work. In Irrlicht it took me 2 minutes to get collision working, as well as animation.

Bare in mind as well, an engine isn't only good because it has all the features. The main part of game programming is actually writing the game. You don't want to spend hours trying to figure out an engine feature.

Hope this helps.

Pxtl    354
Question about Irrlicht - is there any way to have in-game editable geometry in it? In any engine? I want to design a simple game-maker program, but so far the only engines I've seen with editable map geometry have been Ardappel's Cube (landscape) and Sauerbraten (irregular octree) engines.

coldacid    755
Depends on who you ask. Some people hate it, others absolutely love it. Having never used it, I can't really say, but it seems to be as featured as any others like OGRE or Crystal Space. It's apparently a pain to code for, though.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Says its code is c++ cant be that hard as long as you know some c++
I have have seen the best results on torque so far. But have yet to decide what I want to settle on. Any way got may meshs to make before then O.o

Pxtl    354
When you use Torque, you don't code in C++ - you code in its embedded scripting language. Torque isn't a compiled engine - its more like the Unreal engine where the entire game is constructed out of the embedded language.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
That is what blitz does too I think.

May be I should Register...

Rocky1138    122
I frequently program in Revolution3D. It's 100% free and pretty powerful. It runs from within Visual Basic 5/6 and .NET, along with Visual C++ 6 and I believe .NET.

The website has been hacked, but you can check it out later at
http://www.revolution3d.de

James Trotter    432
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is Torque Game Engine good?

Well, the torque has at least been proven to make a full-featured game. I believe tribes and tribes 2 were created using it. It's also very cheap.

stodge    144
Couple of corrections:

Torque is nothing like OGRE. OGRE is a rendering engine, while Torque includes rendering, simple physics, networking, scripting, audio (somewhat broken), client and server game functionality for an FPS and a GUI engine. Torque powered Tribes 2 and is more a full game engine. You have to add a heck of a lot to OGRE to equal the features of Torque. OGRE's renderer has more funky features and is of better quality. It's also more up to date. Torque is essentially proven technology (apart from the bits that were ripped out and replaced).

Torque is a C++ engine plus a scripting language. So you can code in both or either.

MichaelT    214
Quote:
Original post by Triopstor
I'm wondering what kind of engine to program in to make a Detective Game.

Have you heard of Irrlicht 0.7 ? And using Anim8or to help?

How about BlitzBasic from http://blitzbasic.com

What do you guys say?

That depends entirely on what you want to do.
For starters, is the game intended to be 2D or 3D?

2D: You can pretty much use anything that will aid you in setting up a basic screen and put content on it. That being said, using DirectX9 directly for this should be almost as easy actually. If you want a cross platform solution then you should consider using SDL.

3D: This is harder, there is a whole lot of "engines" out there but if you are inclined to use scripting then I'd suggest you try and do a mod of unreal2004 (modding is free). If nothing else it is good training. If you don't want to mod then you have some options already mentioned (irrlicht, ogre, crystal space etc...) there is a list of various engines here:

http://www.devmaster.net/engines

hope that helps somewhat.

romainechester    122
Uhhh... Hello?? I'm totally new here and I want to learn(I do have some programming experience myself. JAVA C++). I don't know what a 'Gaming Engine' is. I may have an idea to what it is but I'm not sure. I've already looked it up in the Game Dictionary section of GameDev but what you guys are talkin about in this forum is well... I don't get it. What is Blitz3d anyway? How is it different from 3dsMax??? I HAVE NOOO IDEA!

hothead    767
Quote:
Original post by romainechester
Uhhh... Hello?? I'm totally new here and I want to learn(I do have some programming experience myself. JAVA C++). I don't know what a 'Gaming Engine' is. I may have an idea to what it is but I'm not sure. I've already looked it up in the Game Dictionary section of GameDev but what you guys are talkin about in this forum is well... I don't get it. What is Blitz3d anyway? How is it different from 3dsMax??? I HAVE NOOO IDEA!

blitz is a compiler but if you want a good answer goto blitzcoder.com

romainechester    122
@hothead

Thanks.

Hmmm... Are the graphics also done there?

Hmmm... If I'm just using VC++ and I want to incorporate graphics from models on 3dsMax, how do I do that? I just need the basics on how it's done. Smooth sailing for me once I know the basics.

umbrae    308
The models need to be saved from 3ds max in a format that you can read them into your engine. It's probably best not to write your own 3d model loader, there are plenty out there. I've heard a good format is 3ds, but I don't know. This even could be the 3ds max format, I'm not sure.

You need a 3d file loader.