Sign in to follow this  
_walrus

nokia smart phone naming convention

Hey guys do any know the naming convetion of the nokia smart phones. It seams really confusing to me. What do the model numbers represent? ie. Nokia 3600, 6600...etc the higher the number doesnt neccessaryly mean a more powerful phone or one that supports more features. Since the 3600 is a series 60 phone while the Nokia 6610i is a series 40 phone. Nor do the numbers represent the platform its build on (ie series 40, 60..etc). its really confusing. THe numbers gotta mean somthing rite?..marketing cant just be randomly putting numbers on the devices :P thanks

The important numbers with the Nokia phones are the Series it belongs to (screen size, underlying operating system, etc.) and the developer platform number (version of MIDP or CLDC). The model numbers seem to have some historical marketing meaning to them (ie, the intended market for the phone), but they don't mean much to developers.

shmoove

I think Shmoove is on the right track with the market segments, though it's not entirely straightforward. I've seen some documentation somewhere which shows the mappings to each market segment.
Anyway, the following link should help a little bit (if anybody fancies telling me how to insert a link properly please do :) )

Device spces PDF.

[Edited by - dark_logik on October 3, 2004 8:35:31 AM]

Quote:
Original post by dark_logik
I think Shmoove is on the right track with the market segments, though it's not entirely straightforward. I've seen some documentation somewhere which shos the mappings to each market segment.

I'm just making an educated guess based on my experience. I have no way to back up that claim. We shouldn't be bothered by it in any case.
Quote:
Original post by dark_logik
Anyway, the following link should help a little bit (if anybody fancies telling me how to insert a link properly please do :) )

Straight HTML (ie, and anchor tag) works on these forums.

shmoove