Sign in to follow this  
mtemple

[web] Secret to Great Web Sound?

What exactly does one have to do to get decent sound quality from music playing on a web site? We have tried both WAV files and MP3 files at 44KHz 16 bit stereo. They sound awesome until we play them through the web site, at which time they sound like they are playing under a herd of wet camels. Is it a bad MP3 compressor? Or is web based play-back sensitive to something that we are missing?

Couple of things:

1. Under which browsers have you received those results?
2. Have you embedded the sound in the page itself, or have you created a Flash file which plays the file, and dropped that into your page instead?

I don't know if browsers can directly handle playing .mp3s or .wav files. I can only remember them directly playing MIDI files. However, I really do think that would depend on the browser. It would make sense for newer browsers to have .wav and .mp3 support (.mp3 mostly), but it's something I'd have to look up to know for certain.

Using Flash, tends to yield a nice result, though, and seems the common way to do this.

I actually am not the one doing the web design because I have my hands full programming our game. But my understanding is that we are using flash. We used a WAV file at first, but then switched to MP3 in an attempt to improve the quality. You can hear the sound quality we're getting by going to www.enemytechnology.com.
Near as I can tell, it sounds just as bad in both Netscape and IE. But what exactly were you referring to with a "streaming media server"? Is this something we need to ask for from our host? Does this affect quality or just allow you to play larger files?
I will also look at making the file mono, thanks.
I guess it just seems like I have heard such amazing sound quality on some web sites. Now these guys are really expensive, but just listen to the sound they get! http://www.blitzds.com/

Thanks for all the help!!!

Yes, I can see your reasoning about using flash instead of relying on the quality of whatever browser is used to view the site. It hadn't even occurred to me that certain browsers might not be capable of playing an MP3 file. Since we are already using flash, this solution would appear fairly straight forward to implement.

I'm also looking into the "Streaming Media" server angle as well.

Thanks again for all of your help. I knew I could rely on the high quality folks I always find here!!

There must be some pretty big files trying to load with that flash loader, because after three minutes of letting it sit, my 56k connection loaded ... ... 0%.