j2me dev on n-gage QD

Started by
5 comments, last by benNNN 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, i'm just curious as to how j2me apps are deployed on the N-Gage qD. Can u do it over usb or does it have to be ota or bluetooth? When i buy an N-Gage at EB do I have to get the phone subscription (cause i only want it for games, not the cell phone). thanks
Advertisement
Not sure about the USB, but it does have IrDA so you can download your applications. You will, however, need a SIM card for the phone to work.

Skizz
Bluetooth should work as well.
Quote:Original post by Skizz
You will, however, need a SIM card for the phone to work.

Yup, although one of those pay as you go with one cent on it will probably do.

shmoove
blue tooth is working great! (eventhough connect the n-gage qd to pc through the BT is kinda flakey)
Quote:Original post by Skizz
Not sure about the USB, but it does have IrDA so you can download your applications. You will, however, need a SIM card for the phone to work.

Skizz

Nah, N-Gage QD does not have IrDA, it only supports bluetooth.

You can deploy the applications through OTA and Bluetooth, however, I have read several places about people using USB cable for connecting the QD to the PC but I have never been able to verify if this is true or not as I have never found or seen such cable myself. We use Bluetooth though which works excellent.

Also, when you buy N-Gage QD, you get a dummy SIM card with it which you can use for playing games. However, you will not be able to use N-Gage Arena nor multiplayer functions in multiplayer games as you of course need to be online with the phone to do that and then you need a subscription of some kind.
My bluetooth connection on the original N-Gage is kinda random. It's a lot easier to use the USB cable. Works great for series 60 applications and j2me applications. The only thing to remember is to plug in an mmc card and Windows will recognize it as a removable storage device. Again this is for the first N-Gage, but I would assume it'll be similar for the qD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement