Sign in to follow this  
amish1234

ellipse collision detection

amish1234    104
I am writing a program that involves a point bouncing around inside an ellipse, and I'm having trouble telling when the point has hit the edge of the ellipse. The ellipse is centered at the origin. Here's psuedocode of my if statement that checks for collisions. if(point.x >= cos(angle_point_makes_with_origin)*Ellipse.XRadius && point.y >= sin(angle_point_makes_with_origin)*Ellipse.YRadius) I don't see what's wrong with this. Does anyone else?

AblazeSpace    161
I think it's possible to reduce this problem to a point in unit sphere problem which should be quite easy to solve - try to devide the point x/y position though the elipse radi...

Have a look at http://www.peroxide.dk/papers/collision/collision.pdf -
section 'Ellipsoid space'. (I like this really nice trick :)

amish1234    104
This is just a 2D ellipse, so I'm not sure if the sphere stuff applies. I could apply the transformation stuff, especially since the program starts off with a circle and I keep track of the ellipse by scaling the circle on each axis.

What I'd really like though is a function that could take in an angle as a parameter and return a 2D vector that contains the radii of the ellipse at that angle.

amish1234    104
Ok, I figured it out. I basically used the pythagorean theorem:

if(point.x*point.x + point.y*point.y >= cos(angle_point_makes_with_origin)*Ellipse.XRadius)^2 +(angle_point_makes_with_origin)*Ellipse.YRadius)^2)

(I used ^ like in math just to make it shorter).

Most of my problems actually came from other parts of the code.